Custer Say What Saturday: George A Custer at Sailor's Creek - "Give the boys Dixie."

Totally late to this thread, but thank you. Custer has always been my favorite Union officer -- for his dash and courage -- and this shows him to also be a gentleman, magnanimous and of great and generous heart, a true man of honor. RIP, General.

Last edited:
The Meriwether L. Clark mentioned as captured in the OP was the son of William Clark of Lewis & Clark fame. A native of Missouri, he was a West Point graduate, veteran of the Black Hawk and Mexican War and served as a brigadier in the Missouri State Guard. He reached the rank of colonel as a Confederate staff and ordnance officer before being assigned to command a brigade of Virginia Reserve troops at the end of the War.

Speaking of Custer, They Died With Their Boots On is currently airing on TCM. Not history of course, but great fun to watch. I like Flynn as Custer, (he was born to play that part in my opinion), but I especially enjoy Sydney Greenstreet's portrayal of General Scott.

John

Speaking of Custer, They Died With Their Boots On is currently airing on TCM. Not history of course, but great fun to watch. I like Flynn as Custer, (he was born to play that part in my opinion), but I especially enjoy Sydney Greenstreet's portrayal of General Scott.

John

I had a trip planned to the Little Big Horn, but then the pandemic hit. The stark loneliness of the field that one sees in pictures has always fascinated me. Probably time to reschedule. "Son of the Morning Star" is one of my all-time favorite books, but that may need to be balanced with another bio of GAC. It's a shame that he has been portrayed as an arrogant, bumbling blowhard (the ludicrous "Little Big Man,") but that is, alas, the spirit of the age. Connell suggests he was something of a martinet, and then there is the Washita business (orders from Phil Sheridan and/or Sherman and/or Grant?) but I think the evidence indicates that he was a brave, honorable and fundamentally decent man. His courage and daring in the Overland, as described by Gordon Rhea, was truly admirable. For me, at any rate, he came across as the most "warrior-like" and likable of the Union officers, completely fearless.

I had a trip planned to the Little Big Horn, but then the pandemic hit. The stark loneliness of the field that one sees in pictures has always fascinated me. Probably time to reschedule. "Son of the Morning Star" is one of my all-time favorite books, but that may need to be balanced with another bio of GAC. It's a shame that he has been portrayed as an arrogant, bumbling blowhard (the ludicrous "Little Big Man,") but that is, alas, the spirit of the age. Connell suggests he was something of a martinet, and then there is the Washita business (orders from Phil Sheridan and/or Sherman and/or Grant?) but I think the evidence indicates that he was a brave, honorable and fundamentally decent man. His courage and daring in the Overland, as described by Gordon Rhea, was truly admirable. For me, at any rate, he came across as the most "warrior-like" of the Union officers, completely fearless.
That would be “Reckless courage”.

John
Creamed Bermuda onions

John

He was with the Indians.

that's an interesting point. If I am not mistaken, both Sheridan and Sherman spoke of the Indians in ways that could be construed as genocidal. Was their extermination something of an unspoken, unofficial policy?

that's an interesting point. If I am not mistaken, both Sheridan and Sherman spoke of the Indians in ways that could be construed as genocidal. Was their extermination something of an unspoken, unofficial policy?
Grant seemed to have a less radical opinion on Indians in general but still wanted them to give up their ways and become farmers , etc. Sheridan had little use for them and Sherman called out for the Sioux to be exterminated.

I had a trip planned to the Little Big Horn, but then the pandemic hit. The stark loneliness of the field that one sees in pictures has always fascinated me. Probably time to reschedule. "Son of the Morning Star" is one of my all-time favorite books, but that may need to be balanced with another bio of GAC. It's a shame that he has been portrayed as an arrogant, bumbling blowhard (the ludicrous "Little Big Man,") but that is, alas, the spirit of the age. Connell suggests he was something of a martinet, and then there is the Washita business (orders from Phil Sheridan and/or Sherman and/or Grant?) but I think the evidence indicates that he was a brave, honorable and fundamentally decent man. His courage and daring in the Overland, as described by Gordon Rhea, was truly admirable. For me, at any rate, he came across as the most "warrior-like" and likable of the Union officers, completely fearless.
I just finished SOTMS. That book was good but too jumbled up. I like the ethereal tone, though.

I think Autie was a reckless man, but his portrayal as an out-of-control no-prisoners "Indian" killer seem overblown. He never said anything like what Sherman and Sheridan proclaimed. Connell didn't seem to think of him as anybody. But the portrayal of him in the Politically incorrect Guide to the CW as a nice guy who has been slandered by "commies" is ridiculous.

What draws me to him is the spiritual and supernatural mystery around him and the Little Big Horn. I like a good mystery, and its almost like he's a ghost, and everybody else who died was a ghost, or like they were meant to die. Sorry Benteen.

I have never read or watched LBM.

little-big-man-2.jpg

Back