Say What Saturday---General Gordon & General Sickles Loving Each Other?

connecticut yankee

First Sergeant
1604677776473.png

The Grand Reunion of 1888, held on the 25th anniversary of the Battle of Gettysburg, was hailed as a time of reunion and reconciliation. It would also prove to be the first real meeting of many Union and Confederate veterans, Daniel Sickles, Henry Slocum, Joshua Chamberlain, James Longstreet and John B. Gordon among them. All these former enemies joined together in feelings of brotherhood and pride in the accomplishments of a reunited nation.

These feelings of friendship and brotherhood continued in the years to follow. These Generals and other high ranking officers from both armies would meet time and time again at regional reunions and national encampments to share their personal stories and war experiences.

1603732095014.png

Daniel Sickles at one of the many GAR Encampments he attended

Let's fast forward to the 28th National GAR Encampment held in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania September 12th and 13th , 1894.

General John B Gordon, now a U.S. Senator from Georgia, was an invited guest of the GAR and was called on to make a brief speech. He rose to the podium, stood before a gathered crowd of some of the 6000 attendees, and began with these words:

“I have come here to shake hands with this old rascal, Sickles. For a long while we fired hot bullets at each other, but for some years we have been seeing who could love the other the most. We never had any trouble to find Sickles during the war, and he always let us know when he was around.”

His address was intensely patriotic and quite patronizing in its reference to General Daniel Sickles.

1603732228446.png

General John B. Gordon wartime photo

General Sickles must have thoroughly enjoyed Gordon's little speech as he afterward shook hands with everyone he could meet and said how glad he was to be there.

Two former heartfelt enemies in wartime---now two heartfelt friends in peace.

Credit: A big thank you is in order to @SWMODave who greatly helped in providing photos, text and the overall idea for this feature.

Sources:

All photos from Library of Congress (LOC)
The National Tribune Sept 20, 1894

John Brown Gordon, 1832-1904. Reminiscences of the Civil War

SWMODave

Sergeant Major
Forum Host
Thread Medic
What struck me about the statement, was a soldier, who had served in combat and under fire, say something about his former enemy, that few men today would dare say.

A general saying he loves a man today is not only jeopardizing his career, but he will likely spend the rest of it explaining what he meant.

Then again, call a fellow soldier a comrade these days and you are likely looking for a fight.

Different times.

nc native

Sergeant
I can envision those 2 individuals with their strong egos, getting along very nicely.

I agree, on the surface it would be hard to envision but both men survived serious wounds during a trying time in our nation's history so even if they didn't like each other personally, I'm sure they had deep respect for each other having gone through what they went through.