Say What Saturday: Burials After Chickasaw Bayou

I know this is a very old thread but does anyone know if there is a list/roster of the confederate dead from this battle? Or can suggest further sources to explore? I think my ancestor who was originally in 10th TN (which was consolidated with 30th TN) fought and likely killed in this battle. I have some anecdotal info from Confederate Veteran magazine but would like to see if I can find out more. Thanks in advance.

I know this is a very old thread but does anyone know if there is a list/roster of the confederate dead from this battle? Or can suggest further sources to explore? I think my ancestor who was originally in 10th TN (which was consolidated with 30th TN) fought and likely killed in this battle. I have some anecdotal info from Confederate Veteran magazine but would like to see if I can find out more. Thanks in advance.
Have you tried newspapers? I've came across some that had Confederate casualties. If you can provide more info like a name I can help as I have access to Newspapers.com.

Try this link, https://www.nps.gov/vick/learn/historyculture/confederate-interments-a.htm

The 3rd Tennessee occupied the area directly in front of the corduroy bridge, the only easy way to cross the bayou. That would mean they would have seen men from both Blair's and DeCourcey's brigades as they funneled towards that bridge. It's hard to say how many of Blair's men actually made it to the bridge as most were pinned down before the bridge and later taken prisoner.

View attachment 341091
My Great Great Uncle served in the 42nd Ohio and was wounded at Chickasaw Bayou. Could easily have been someone from the 3rd Tennessee that got him.

Blair didn’t cross at the bridge, he crossed a muddy, silt-filled, but mostly passable stretch of old bayou just to the north of it as illustrated on this map. IIRC his horse sank to its belly but he dismounted and continued across.
I thought Gregg was in reserve and was called up to address the threat posed by the pontoon and the Missourian assault over the sandbar? The corduroy bridge was already well protected, wasn’t it?

Back