Research Saxe Coburg and Gotha recognizes the Confederate States?

Andersonh1

Brigadier General
8TnO5qz.jpg

Ran across this article and wondered if anyone had any information on Ernst Raven, appointed consul for the State of Texas. Saxe Coburg and Gotha appears to have been a duchy in Germany, according to Wikipedia. Knowing how the newspapers did not always get their facts straight, how close did they get to the truth here?

Exequator = "An exequatur is a legal document issued by a sovereign authority that permits the exercise or enforcement of a right within the jurisdiction of the authority. The word is a form of the Latin verb exequi, which denotes 'let it be executed"

Since the Confederate States of America was recognized by Europe as a belligerent, consuls can be put in place to issue visas to those who want to travel to the consul's home country or to aid the business community in trade with the home country and to help its citizens with any problems they encounter in the belligerent country. Consuls are generally assigned to non-capitals and do not denote any form of state recognition to its host. The assignment of an ambassador to a nation's capital is recognition of a state. As an example today, since the 1979 hostage crisis, the United States has not had diplomatic relations with Iran and her embassy in Washington has been shut down since then yet there are a few Iranian Consulates still operating throughout the U.S.

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
Saxe Coburg was where Queen Victoria’s family was from. Of no geopolitical importance, the ruling family managed to populate the European ruling class of the Victorian period. Off the top of my head, I can’t recall if it was Prince Albert’s brother Ernst or their dissolute father who ruled during the Civil War period.

Albert was an active abolitionist, so any kind of alliance with CSA was not on the table. Since there was no commercial or strategic link between Saxe Coburg & CSA, it would seem likely they were sending an official military observer. The gayly colored string of European officers that tailed after Pres. Davis & Lee was the subject of considerable amusement.

Charles Eastman, in command of the signalists on Lookout Mountain wrote to his sister describing Davis’ ascent to Lookout Point accompanied by, among others, an officer in the full glory of a red coat & bearskin hat. Eastman had been repeatedly chased away from the point by artillery fire from Moccasin Point. To his amazement, the large party with Davis did not draw fire. A historian I know drolly speculated the the Yankee’s knew a good thing when they saw it & wouldn’t risk taking out Davis & Bragg.

The French and British consuls that were in the Confederate States did not receive their exequaturs from the Confederate government but rather from the United States prior to the secession of the Southern states. This meant that their authority as consuls of a foreign government were granted by the United States government and not that of the Confederacy. As far as I'm aware, no foreign consul ever presented their credentials and applied for an exequatur with the Confederate government.

When it became increasingly clear during late 1862 through 1863 that neither Great Britain or France were going to recognize the Confederacy other than as a belligerent, President Davis revoked the exequatur that was issued to the British consul by the United States and expelled him while Secretary of State, Judah P. Benjamin, expelled the French consul. Some of this is discussed on pages 236-237 of biographer Eli N. Evans' "Judah P. Benjamin - The Jewish Confederate."

Rhea Cole

1st Lieutenant
The French and British consuls that were in the Confederate States did not receive their exequaturs from the Confederate government but rather from the United States prior to the secession of the Southern states. This meant that their authority as consuls of a foreign government were granted by the United States government and not that of the Confederacy. As far as I'm aware, no foreign consul ever presented their credentials and applied for an exequatur with the Confederate government.

When it became increasingly clear during late 1862 through 1863 that neither Great Britain or France were going to recognize the Confederacy other than as a belligerent, President Davis revoked the exequatur that was issued to the British consul by the United States and expelled him while Secretary of State, Judah P. Benjamin, expelled the French consul. Some of this is discussed on pages 236-237 of biographer Eli N. Evans' "Judah P. Benjamin - The Jewish Confederate."
To the initiated, all those diplomatic niceties carry a very high , ‘Huh?’ Factor. When you consider all the hoops that Davis jumped through attempting to get British & French recognition throwing the one official connection he had is a bit baffling. Amanda Foreman’s World on Fire is my go to book on that subject.

Quaama

Sergeant
Saxe Coburg was where Queen Victoria’s family was from. Of no geopolitical importance, the ruling family managed to populate the European ruling class of the Victorian period. Off the top of my head, I can’t recall if it was Prince Albert’s brother Ernst or their dissolute father who ruled during the Civil War period.

Albert was an active abolitionist, so any kind of alliance with CSA was not on the table. Since there was no commercial or strategic link between Saxe Coburg & CSA, it would seem likely they were sending an official military observer. The gayly colored string of European officers that tailed after Pres. Davis & Lee was the subject of considerable amusement.

Charles Eastman, in command of the signalists on Lookout Mountain wrote to his sister describing Davis’ ascent to Lookout Point accompanied by, among others, an officer in the full glory of a red coat & bearskin hat. Eastman had been repeatedly chased away from the point by artillery fire from Moccasin Point. To his amazement, the large party with Davis did not draw fire. A historian I know drolly speculated the the Yankee’s knew a good thing when they saw it & wouldn’t risk taking out Davis & Bragg.

Yes and the Royal Family in Britain only changed their name to Windsor in WWI because of the Germanic name of their House which is Saxe-Coburg and Gotha. Both Queen Elizabeth II and her husband have a lineage descended from the House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Here is a little more where Ernst Raven. Some more general information about him can be found here.

GwilymT

First Sergeant
It seems that by this time Saxe Coburg and Gotha was not really an independent sovereign state in its own right but a constituent state of a larger Germany. They had joined the Zollverein in 1834 and bound to higher German government. They sent representatives to the Bundesrat and were a part of the Federal German Convention. Somewhat like a constituent state of the United States, they had no ability to grant recognition, enter treaties, or unilaterally declare independence.

While this newspaper article is a neat find, it isn’t the silver bullet some would hope.

Quaama

Sergeant
Yep. I guess I was typing my comment when you posted and never saw it!

A common problem. It not unusual for me to wait hours [time zone differences] after posting something to see it appear only to then find out someone has already made a similar comment or the conversation has progressed beyond what I was trying to say.

infomanpa

2nd Lieutenant
A common problem. It not unusual for me to wait hours [time zone differences] after posting something to see it appear only to then find out someone has already made a similar comment or the conversation has progressed beyond what I was trying to say.
Didn't realize until your last post that you are in Australia! I'm guessing that you are an early riser and posting in the morning.