Saw this book for sale

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

MAJOR DUNDEE

Private
Hi everybody, I've seen this book on French site "Bon Coin" (it's US "Craigslist"), it cost 25 euros (about 22$), does anyone know it ? Is it worth buying it ? Is it an interesting book ? (I've already some good ones about the USCW period).
55.jpg

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Yes I have a copy of it. This is more of a booklet than a book being 72 pages of mostly black and white photos and a few pages of color uniforms. Most of the images are in other books. However, at that price it is hard to go wrong. If all you do is look over the Civil War era photographs this is not a bad investment.
Sorry I thought it said 22 cents Us not $22 dollars so no the price is terrible.

Last edited:

major bill

Colonel
Forum Host
Sorry I thought you said 22 cents and not 22 US dollars. This kind of thing goes for about one dollar to two dollars in US used book stores. I thought I might have two copies of this but only have one. I am guessing you can find a copy on BookFinder.com for about $12 you might have to pay shipping and handling. Look for a private message from me.

fiddle1863

Private
LOL... the new priced one is insane. $953?... Typo? That made me laugh. Used, very good copies start at about $5. Not sure what makes 2 of them collectible, but even they are about $20 and under $30. Looking to build your library inexpensively, go to thriftbooks.com. Gobs of books - used, good condition and pretty cheap. Sign up for an account and make a tab for Civil War. Enjoy. :smile:

7thWisconsin

First Sergeant
I got a copy of that book when I was in 5th grade. (Richard Nixon was US president.) It's a picture book and I loved it then. There is no organization to the photos, so it's like looking through a scrapbook, and although the captions for the photos are factually correct, they don't set the photos themselves in context. Most, if not all the photos are LoC, so they're available online now. I think I gave my copy away about 20 years ago. I would chuckle, and lay down a buck or two if I found it on the shelves of a used bookstore today, but I would in no way pay $20 for it - as a research tool it's just not very useful or helpful.