CWTrust Save Gettysburg 26 Acres at Forgotten Hill

CMWinkler

Colonel
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
Expired Image Removed

Dear Randy,

One of the great myths about Gettysburg is that the battle started because a Confederate general believed there was a cache of shoes (which his soldiers desperately needed) being stored in the town. In fact, the battle was all about roads. Gettysburg is a hub of 10 roads, and by July 2nd, 1863, the Union army only had 2 at their disposal, the most important of which was the crushed limestone Baltimore Pike.

To get a better visual of these roads, our team recorded a short video of Garry Adelman, our Director of History and Education, standing on top of Powers’ Hill. Watch Garry explain the critical importance of these 10 roads at Gettysburg, and how the Baltimore Pike, specifically, was instrumental in the Union victory.

Learn about the Union Army’s main lifeline at this landmark battle.

The land we are trying to save was prominent in the fight to protect the Union army’s crucial supply line as Union batteries hammered at Confederates in Spangler’s Meadow. Now you can understand why we jumped at the opportunity to save 26 acres that straddle the Baltimore Pike—this land is crucial to completing the preservation of the Power’s Hill sector of the battlefield. It is currently unprotected, but you can change that.

You have already helped us save numerous key parcels along the important byways leading to this battle. By adding these 26 acres, we will build on our preservation success and clear the way for future restoration—and even a possible walking trail. Plus, opening up this part of the battlefield will allow future visitors better access to the monuments on this hill.

Now I need your help—your generosity—to get this land saved forever. You are the key to every victory. Will you help me save these 26 acres?

’Til the Battle is Won
Expired Image Removed
Jim Lighthizer

P.S. Learn about the importance of the Baltimore Pike during the Battle of Gettysburg and help preserve a key portion of this important battlefield.

Expired Image Removed

Culp’s Hill and the Gettysburg Battlefield: Then & Now »

Expired Image Removed

Map: Gettysburg »

Expired Image Removed

Gettysburg Animated Map »

Expired Image Removed

Letter From Jim »

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

pamc153PA

Major
Forum Host
Power's Hill, my favorite place on the battlefield! It wasn't until the tree cutting in 2011 opened up the view shed all the way to Spangler's Spring that you could really see why the arty on Power's was so important, or so deadly for the Confederates on Culp's Hill on Day 3 of the battle. As a member of the CWT, I've already donated.

Thanks for posting this, CW!

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)