CWTrust Save 74 Acres at Appomattox

CMWinkler

Colonel
Retired Moderator
appomattox-2017-appeal-email.jpg

For a young nation, the United States is blessed with an unusually large number of fascinating and dramatic historic events. There is no denying, however, that the defining event of American history was the Civil War. Not only did 620,000 brave young soldiers lose their lives, the very meaning of America was determined for all time.

If the Civil War was the defining event of American history, the surrender of the fabled Army of Northern Virginia at Appomattox Court House just may be the defining moment of the American Civil War. The magnanimity and compassion in victory demonstrated by Ulysses S. Grant and the humility in defeat shown by Robert E. Lee continue to serve as examples to people of all ages. Grant, for his part, later wrote, “I felt like anything rather than rejoicing at the downfall of a foe who had fought so long and valiantly, and had suffered so much for a cause, though that cause was, I believe, one of the worst for which a people ever fought, and one for which there was the least excuse. I do not question, however, the sincerity of the great mass of those who were opposed to us.”

The Civil War Trust is now trying to save three properties at this legendary place where brave men on both sides came together to begin the hard work of rebuilding America. With your help, we can honor those men by forever preserving 74 acres which encompass a portion of the ground over which Joshua Lawrence Chamberlain and his men made their final charge of the Civil War.

If we don’t act, there is a chance that this hallowed ground could be lost forever. Help us save Appomattox Court House!

'Til the Battle is Won,
jim-lighthizer-signature_0.png

Jim Lighthizer

Expired Image Removed

Back