1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Savannah and Charleston ... what to see?

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by PeterT, Feb 6, 2017.

1. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

My Golf Bucket List Tour of 2017 begins next month. Myself and 4 mates are heading ove for a golf trip of a lifetime. First to golf at Hilton Head and Kiawah Island. Then to Augusta for the US Masters. Over to the west coast to play Pebble Beach and other courses.

We are passing through Savannah and Charleston and I'm going to try and convince these guys that we (i.e. me :smile:) need to visit some civil war areas of interest. So some suggestions are most welcome. Also any good dining for lunch also welcome.

FarawayFriend, AshleyMel and nitrofd like this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. John Winn

John Winn Captain

I don't remember seeing any Civil War stuff in Savannah but in Charleston there's of course Fort Sumter and viewing the Hunley. You'll need to make reservations for the Hunley as they only let people in once or twice a week and the tours sell out; worth it though. And if you like old cemeteries don't miss Magnolia in Charleston which has a lot of Civil War burials including the crew of the Hunley. Of course, if you do like old cemeteries there's Bonaventure and Laurel Grove North in Savannah. Both towns have good eating but we thought Charleston was the winner in that regard. Sorry but I don't remember the names of the places we ate and it's been a few years. We liked the Moon guide book and of course there's always the internet.

Make sure you allow some time to just wander around the old town sections of both cities. Charleston is particularly beautiful. I've got roots in Charleston so have a glass for them when you're there. You'll have a good time.

4. AndyHall

AndyHall Lt. Colonel Forum Host

In addition to what @John Winn said, I'd recommend going over to Fort Moultrie, if you have time. The interpretation there covers its existence from the Revolution through WWII, so there's a lot of good stuff there.

PeterT, AshleyMel and John Winn like this.
  5. nitrofd

nitrofd Major Forum Host

Savannah has two Civil War forts,Fort Pulaski which is on the water by the ocean.the Fort is Fort McAllister is covers 1400 acres.Savannah is a great place to visit and I would would recommend getting the day pass for the "Old Town Trolley Tours" which travels all day long around the Historic Area.they have 16 scheduled stops of which you can get on and off all day long.if staying an additional day that can be purchased at a reduced rate.my wife and I go there 2-3 times a year for a day trip as it is one of our fondest places to visit.the last trip we went to just visit all the religious institutions of which was a treasure trove of knowledge.St.Johns the Baptist Catholic church must be the prettiest church in the south.the Jewish Temple Mikvah Israel has daily tours as they have a long history there aND have also a museum which includes a lot of Civil War items including a couple of letters from Robert E. Lee explaining how he will try and give his Jewish soldiers time off for the holidays but is not always possible.theremember is the "First African Baptist Church" which was built by the slaves on their free time in the evenings.this is the first AME church that was not built out of wood.when you see it there are holes on the floor which you would think we're for Ventilation but they were there for escaped slaves hiding under the floor boards as this was a stop on the Underground Railroad.my favorite spot is the "Ships of the Sea" Museum which my wife didn't want to see but after being there she tells her friends it is a must see as the model of the sailing ships are a work of art and huge.they average about 6-8 feet long and at least that tall.
    For a restaurant a must stop is the Pirates House.they are known for their fried chicken but we order other stuff such fried green tomatoes ,crab cakes,she-crab soup and other items.
    Enough for Savanna for now, i'll post later for Charleston latter.

6. NFB22

NFB22 First Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

Charleston:

Fort Sumter
    Fort Moultrie
    Conservation center that houses the Hunley
    The Citadel - Has a museum, they have tours and you can catch the Corps of Cadets on parade on Fridays I believe
    Plenty of houses in the city open to the public such as the Edmondston-Alton and Aiken Rhett mansions.
    Old Slave Mart museum

Really just walking through the city is amazing. Beautiful homes, government buildings and plenty of churches.

Savannah:

Fort Pulaski
    Fort McAllister
    Fort Jackson
    City museum

The city, much like Charleston is chalked full of history. Just walking through it is great. Plenty of restaurants, bars/pubs, on every block. Just depends what you want to eat.

7. Barnesville_Blues

Barnesville_Blues Sergeant

Savannah is my hometown...where I was born. Besides Fort McAllister and Fort Pulaski, there is also Old Fort Jackson which is supposed to be the oldest brick fortification on the east coast. It was used by confederate forces, along with Fort Pulaski and Fort McAllister to defend Savannah. Fort Jackson was abandoned by Confederate forces once Sherman took Savannah.

PeterT, FarawayFriend and AshleyMel like this.
  8. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Few other points of interest in Charleston:

The old outdoor historic market that has been there since antebellum.
    Boone Hall Plantation.
    If you go to the Charleston Visitor's Center, next to the Museum, you can pick up several walking Tours of Civil War Charleston. There are self guided as well as guided. I have done the self guided before, and is highly recommended.

Savannah:

Green-Meldrim House, Sherman's Headquarters
    Also walking around the Historic District.

PeterT, FarawayFriend and AshleyMel like this.
  9. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks everyone for these suggestions. The Organizing Committee for the Golf Bucket List Tour is meeting this week or next to go through arrangements again. My wife thinks it's an excuse to get together and have a drink or two. :whistling:

FarawayFriend, John Winn and nitrofd like this.
  10. ErnieMac

ErnieMac Captain Forum Host Trivia Game Winner

Beaufort SC is located about midway between Charleston and Savannah if you find the time. No battles, but a number of Reconstruction Era sites.

Experiment with mint juleps and tell your wife you were getting into the spirit(s) of the Civil War era. :D

11. Student of Sherman

Student of Sherman Corporal

We visited both a couple years ago, and I would recommend the following:

Charleston:
    Fort Sumter
    Fort Moultrie

Non-related: Several nearby cemeteries, including St. Phillips Episcopal Church Cemetery, featuring John Calhoun, Revolutionary War Soldiers, Signers of the Declaration of Independence, etc.
    Magnolia Cemetery: Numerous Civil War soldiers & officers, particularly of the H.L. Hunley, Micah Jenkins

Savannah:
    Touring the Green-Meldrim House is neat, a lot on Sherman and such there. Many different historical homes in the district there, also where they filmed Forrest Gump in Chippewa Square.
    Laurel Grove Cemetery- Lafayette Mclaws, Moxley Sorrel, many CSA dead from Gettysburg buried there, a beautiful cemetery.
    Bonaventure Cemetery- Can be a bit creepy overall with all the Spanish moss & interesting headstones, but a lot of history and notable burials there as well.

PeterT likes this.
  12. FarawayFriend

FarawayFriend Captain Silver Patron Trivia Game Winner

From Charleston you can drive the Ashley River Road. We did that almost 20 year ago and it was wonderful. The Old South, as you have ever imagined it, moss hanging from the trees, beautiful plantations (Drayton Hall is the only one which was not burnt to the ground by Union troops) and all ... I bet even your golfing friends will be captivated by the sights ... look here:
    https://roadtrippers.com/stories/ashley-river-road

Oh how I do envy you that you will be over there soon again ...
    PM @War Horse for restaurant/bar tips. I know he has been to Savannah several times and knows some "off the beaten path" corners ...

13. amweiner

amweiner Corporal

Peter, while I don't know diddly about Charleston or Savannah, we live up the road from Pebble Beach (and my wife works there) so can help out if needed!

PeterT likes this.
  14. KLSDAD

KLSDAD First Sergeant

My wife and I will be in Charleston the weekend of 4/22. She is flying in and out of Atlanta....I'm driving. We'll spend a week and I'm hoping to range along the coast into Florida. She'd probably prefer that we plant ourselves for multiple days in Beaufort, Hilton Head or Savannah so some negotiating is in order.

Honey Hill and Rivers Bridge are a couple of smaller battles in SC that made the NPS list (https://www.nps.gov/abpp/battles/bystate.htm#sc). Check out hmdb.org for them and other historical spots of interest as you travel.

Enjoy your trip... I promise not to hijack your thread until after the Masters is over!

Chuck

PeterT likes this.
  15. KLSDAD

KLSDAD First Sergeant

16. PeterT

PeterT 2nd Lieutenant

Thanks! We are actually staying in Aiken!

(Memo to brain ... revisit itinerary)

KLSDAD likes this.
  17. dlavin

dlavin Sergeant

I am jealous of both the golf and the CW. Last time I was in Charleston I was a silly college kid with misguided intentions...

PeterT likes this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)