• Welcome to the Receipts of the Blue & Gray. - The receipts you will find here are original Antebellum, and Civil War period receipts, as originally published between the years 1796 and 1880. One exception, is: Newspaper Clippings & Periodical Receipts are limited to a publishing period from 1858 to 1866.

Some receipts from this era attempted to give medicinal advice. Many dangerous, and in some cases, deadly, "cures" were given, reflecting the primitive knowledge of that time period. Don't assume everything you read here is safe to try! Recipes and Receipts posted here are for Historic Research Purposes, enjoy them, learn from them, discuss them!

★ If you attempt to try one of these recipes / receipts, you do so at your own risk! ★

• Welcome to CivilWarTalk, a forum about the American Civil War! - Join today! It's fast, simple, and FREE!

Mixed Dishes Sausages and Apples

240. sausages and apples
(from Cookery and Confectionary, by John Conrade Cooke, 1824)
1634657367067.png

Ingredients:

sausage-meat​
flour​
butter​
large apples​
remoulade sauce​

Instructions:

Flatten some sausage-meat round in cakes, the size of a crown piece; flour it and fry it on a saute-pan, with butter; slice some large apples, the same size; take out the cores and fry them; put a slice of apple and sausage alternately round the dish; serve with a remoulade sauce. (See Sauces.)​

To Make this dish you need a remoulade sauce...
1634658291807.png
This Sauce requires "mustard, made as No. 590" as well as "Brown Sauce (No. 43)"....

1634658619641.png

1634658355069.png
You'll need a "good brown gravy" to make the Brown Sauce...

1634658403698.png
Can't make a "good brown gravy without first making some "beef broth" right?

1634658445924.png

Suddenly, making "Sausages and Apples" just became the most complicated dish possible....

Last edited:
When I was a kid my grandmother used to make what she called Snitz and Knepp it was made by boiling a cured ham and then she put in dried apples when it was almost done she dropped in dough to make dumplings.I remember her saying the dumplings would get sad if left in to long. That was a long time ago but it was good.

When I was a kid my grandmother used to make what she called Snitz and Knepp it was made by boiling a cured ham and then she put in dried apples when it was almost done she dropped in dough to make dumplings.I remember her saying the dumplings would get sad if left in to long. That was a long time ago but it was good.
I like the sound of this one,bet it would stick to your ribs.

My wife makes a sausage and apple recipe that lines the bottom of a pan with sliced apples lightly dusted with brown sugar, 6 cups of cooked rice, then the top of the rice is covered completely by smoked sausage...the whole shebang is baked (covered) then the last 15 minutes she pulls the cover off so the sausage browns up a little...the fat permeates and flavors the rice and apples...it's even better day 2!

Back