Sarah Josepha Buell Hale, Thanks For Thanksgiving!

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
" Sarah Josepha Hale, a 74-year-old magazine editor, wrote a letter to Lincoln on September 28, 1863, urging him to have the "day of our annual Thanksgiving made a National and fixed Union Festival." She explained, "You may have observed that, for some years past, there has been an increasing interest felt in our land to have the Thanksgiving held on the same day, in all the States; it now needs National recognition and authoritive fixation, only, to become permanently, an American custom and institution." "

Shamefully borrowed from today's Civil War Talk, Lincoln Forum thread on his Thanksgiving Day proclamation.

By ' noodge' is meant someone who just, keeps ' at it ' until a required/requested purpose is met. No, really, it's in Webster's! ( just made that up ). Sarah Hale is the woman who pretty gracefully but determinedly pestered her President on the topic of a National Day of Thanksgiving until he gave up. If that is putting the matter a little too baldly, please excuse. This kind of thing always reminds me Lincoln had a Mrs. Lincoln, always and forever armed to the teeth with feminine wiles and a string of victories to her credit as proof she knew how to use them.

Sarah Hale had spent 40 years of her life campaigning for this exact proclamation- it wasn't something which simply occurred to this beautifully self educated, widely respected woman day over tea and crumpets. She'd had an awfully, awfully long time to refine her arguments.

sh1.jpg

I'll skim her life a little just to get to her involvement in exactly why we can put an extra place-setting out today for Sarah. It's a long story- she was a busy woman, gosh! This these literally ran though her life and in her writings through 4 decades you can SEE our Thanksgiving table as it is in 2014.

http://www.pilgrimhallmuseum.org/pdf/Godmother_of_Thanksgiving.pdf
sarahh.JPG

Sarah published a novel, " Northwood", while undertaking editorial work and publishing poems. ( among them a poem some claim she wrote- open to argument, Mary Had A Little Lamb ) Scenes seem familiar. :smile:

From 1827!

tgg1.JPG

tgg2.JPG

tgg3.JPG

I have to literally go put my own turkey in the oven, must end this here for now. Will hopefully be back some time today but this is a great place to stop. There's some proof even here in 1827 that Sarah was beginning her 40 trek towards this wonderful day she and a President in her future would gift us.

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
I knew this was here somewhere. Lincoln's Thanksgiving Proclamation did not happen because he woke up one morning and said " You know, this Thanksgiving thing is an awfully untidy arrangement, first here then there, cluttering up November. Next thing you know it'll find its way to April and we all know what that means- a law suit from the Easter Bunny. I know! Make if the same day every year, that way Easter is safe. "

Behind every Great Man is a female who wasn't behind him at all. Lincoln encountered many- Clara, his own wife, Dorothea, both Harriets, the young lady who so admired a man with beard- and Sarah Josepha Buell Hale.