Sappy, Wonderful Song Book Art, " When This Cruel War Is Over "

JPK Huson 1863

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
cruel war 1.jpg

Isn't it evocative? Illustration scream ' era ', lyrics got to you because an awful lot of Americans could relate to them.

cruel war 2.jpg

Not being at ALL musical, still love the bejammers out of some of these. I realize this one was well known and still is- I'm always, always smitten by era art work- these wood block variety illustrations are ridiculously charming. Sappy, delightful stuff.

From a war era book- quality seems to put it at the ' dime novel ' level of publishing.

cruel war 3.jpg

Someone else will have to sing it ( @Mrs. V for instance ). Guessing it's a haunting tune? If I sang it you'd just feel haunted. By Banshees.

View attachment 343412
Isn't it evocative? Illustration scream ' era ', lyrics got to you because an awful lot of Americans could relate to them.

View attachment 343413

Not being at ALL musical, still love the bejammers out of some of these. I realize this one was well known and still is- I'm always, always smitten by era art work- these wood block variety illustrations are ridiculously charming. Sappy, delightful stuff.

From a war era book- quality seems to put it at the ' dime novel ' level of publishing.

View attachment 343414

Someone else will have to sing it ( @Mrs. V for instance ). Guessing it's a haunting tune? If I sang it you'd just feel haunted. By Banshees.
It’s on my list to learn. When I do, I promise I will post my rendition!

Not familiar with one. I am a civilian interpreter & I sing & play period correct music. Definitely going to find this one! Thanks.

I think I bookmarked the book? If it's helpful, can post the link? No idea why I browse those- can't sing, haven't played piano since age 12, barely read music. It's all just such cool stuff anyway.

"Ah! the many cruel fancies, ever in my brain." What a perfect way to describe what life must have been like for those left behind and constantly prey to thoughts of what might be happening.

Back