Sherman Sam Watkins on General W. T. Sherman

Complicity

Banned
Every private soldier there knew that General Hood's army was scattered all the way from Jonesboro to Atlanta, a distance of twenty-five miles, without any order, discipline, or spirit to do anything...And here was but a demoralized remnant of Cheatham's corps facing the whole Yankee army. I have ever thought that Sherman was a poor general, not to have captured Hood and his whole army at that time

Every private soldier there knew that General Hood's army was scattered all the way from Jonesboro to Atlanta, a distance of twenty-five miles, without any order, discipline, or spirit to do anything...And here was but a demoralized remnant of Cheatham's corps facing the whole Yankee army. I have ever thought that Sherman was a poor general, not to have captured Hood and his whole army at that time

How did that work out? Let's see ....hmmm.... oh yeah the enemy was defeated and the war won. Poor generalship? I think not!

The point is simple. Sam Watkins was at the time the expert facing Sherman. At that point in time his opinion was paramount because he was there. He did not know what Sherman's plans were. All he had was his perspective. Win or loose Sam was entitled to his opinion and without it none of the so called experts would see the war through his eyes.

The point is simple. Sam Watkins was at the time the expert facing Sherman. At that point in time his opinion was paramount because he was there. He did not know what Sherman's plans were. All he had was his perspective. Win or loose Sam was entitled to his opinion and without it none of the so called experts would see the war through his eyes.

Hey, I'm with you.

Sam's viewpoint is especially convincing because his perspective as a "mere" private underscores just how obvious the opportunity was for Sherman.

Sam Watkins was at the time the expert facing Sherman.

Expert at what? As a common soldier he was probably more worried about when he was going to eat next.

Sam Watkins was at the time the expert facing Sherman.

Expert at what? As a common soldier he was probably more worried about when he was going to eat next.

He was a soldier. He had the perspective serving under Johnston and Hood. He most certainly had to worry about what to eat. From your avatar and name suggest you serving in the military. Did you ever have to go barefoot? Forage for food? Attempt to eat a rat? I would say until you walk through Sam Watkins shoes, you really can't hold a candle to him.

He was a soldier. He had the perspective serving under Johnston and Hood. He most certainly had to worry about what to eat. From your avatar and name suggest you serving in the military. Did you ever have to go barefoot? Forage for food? Attempt to eat a rat? I would say until you walk through Sam Watkins shoes, you really can't hold a candle to him.

Let's not get too excited, folks. Sam Watkins would have the expertise of a soldier in his position at the time.

Later when he wrote, he wrote a narrative that is regarded to be accurate as that of a common soldier. He also had opinions which he expressed one of which was expressed as such not fact. 'I have ever thought that Sherman was a poor general, not to have captured Hood and his whole army at that time'

In addition the inflammatory nature of the thread OP should have made some impression not to get caught up in it.

Let's not get too excited, folks. Sam Watkins would have the expertise of a soldier in his position at the time.

Later when he wrote, he wrote a narrative that is regarded to be accurate as that of a common soldier. He also had opinions which he expressed one of which was expressed as such not fact. 'I have ever thought that Sherman was a poor general, not to have captured Hood and his whole army at that time'

In addition the inflammatory nature of the thread OP should have made some impression not to get caught up in it.

The Inflammatory nature of a thread about Sherman!
iconrotflmao.gif

The destruction of Hood wasn't Sherman's goal.

Actually, at that point in time the destruction of Hood's army was Sherman's goal. But Sherman convinced Grant that the best way to do that was for himself to march across Georgia. Let Hood follow if he dare, otherwise Thomas could take care of him.

Back