Sallie, the faithful mascot of the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

A dog joined the 147th Pennsylvania during the Gettysburg campaign. I don't know if this dog made it to the battlefield, but the regiment confronted Steuart's brigade on the same field (Pardee) where "Grace" fell mortally wounded. M. S. Schroyer, author of, History of Company "G," 147th Regiment Pennsylvania, wrote in his diary on June 29th, 1863: "Passed through Frederick City ... crossed Pipe's Creek, passed towns of Marysville and Bruceville, and encamped about one mile from the last named town, having traveled 20 miles. ... A large yellow haired dog came to our company from one of the Maryland homes, became a pet, and stayed with us on the march."

We enjoyed seeing this gentleman and his dog, Sallie's namesake, marching in Gettysburg's Remembrance Day parade yesterday. Of course, Sallie is right up front with the honor guard, always her own chosen spot when the 11th Pennsylvania was on dress parade.

Sallie Marching on Remembrance Day 2015.jpg

This thread is about Sallie and other Civil War mascots. With that said, I don't think forum members truly understand the relationship between soldiers and animals. In more modern conflicts the United States and the United Kingdom took steps to honor our friends.

This is what the United Kingdom did:

Last edited by a moderator:
Have just recently acquired a professionally framed print of the 11th PA and Sallie in a very unusual way! Saw it at the curb when driving by a finished yard sale with a free sign on it. Of course put any dignity aside and stopped to rescue the print!!! Beautifully and professionally framed with a dark blue mat, light gray distressed wood frame and dust cover on back. Had a hanging wire on it, took it home, dusted it off and it now lives on the wall above my desk. Here is an image of the print entitled 'Loyal Heart' by Greg Stump:
loyal-heart-by-greg-stump.jpg

Last edited:
Have just recently acquired a professionally framed print of the 11th PA and Sallie in a very unusual way! Saw it at the curb when driving by a finished yard sale with a free sign on it. Of course put any dignity aside and stopped to rescue the print!!! Beautifully and professionally framed with a dark blue mat, light gray distressed wood frame and dust cover on back. Had a hanging wire on it, took it home, dusted it off and it now lives on the wall above my desk. Here is an image of the print entitled 'Loyal Heart' by Greg Stump:

What a stroke of luck to find this incredible print for free! Lucky you drove by that street when you did :smile:

What a stroke of luck to find this incredible print for free! Lucky you drove by that street when you did :smile:
Yes it was! And strangely enough, it was an afterthought that made us go up that particular street. We were not intending to go that way but at the last minute changed our mind about the direction of travel. Dumb luck?

Congratulations, MRB! I think this is my new favorite treasure-found-at-yard-sale story!

Sounds to me like it was fate or the print was calling out to you :wink:
You may be right about fate! Almost eerie when I think about it!!!
Congratulations, MRB! I think this is my new favorite treasure-found-at-yard-sale story!
Thank you! I think it is certainly my most unique find in a most unique situation. Would have never thought about finding such a nice framed print like that!! It would have been a great find even at $20. I would have bought it for certain!

We're pleased to have met three people whose ancestors with the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry served at Gettysburg. Although Sallie isn't mentioned in the ancestors' surviving writings, there's a good chance that they knew her. As @JPK Huson 1863 noted in one of her posts, her ancestor David Adams of the 11th may have been one of the soldiers Sallie guarded on Oak Ridge. Two descendants with connections to the 11th are visiting Sallie here:
http://www.loyaltyofdogs.blogspot.com

If any CWT members have photos of their own visits with Sallie and would like to add them to our gallery, please send me a direct message and I will be delighted to add them. Thank you!

We're pleased to have met three people whose ancestors with the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry served at Gettysburg. Although Sallie isn't mentioned in the ancestors' surviving writings, there's a good chance that they knew her. As @JPK Huson 1863 noted in one of her posts, her ancestor David Adams of the 11th may have been one of the soldiers Sallie guarded on Oak Ridge. Two descendants with connections to the 11th are visiting Sallie here:
http://www.loyaltyofdogs.blogspot.com

If any CWT members have photos of their own visits with Sallie and would like to add them to our gallery, please send me a direct message and I will be delighted to add them. Thank you!

I never connected Sallie and David at Oak Ridge until joining here- how extremely odd, too! Had seen around a bazillion photos of her on the 11th Pennsylvania memorial without the coin dropping. When it did, then re-checked the facts another 20 times.

David Adams death at Gettysburg was awful, leaving a widow and son- his sister was shattered, Lavina, my grgrgrandmother. They lived not incredibly far away in Schuylkill County, panic and shock waves from Lee's invasion had been felt for weeks. Adding Sallie's story to his tragedy has been helpful, don't ask me why.

Back