Sallie, the faithful mascot of the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry

Theres a ghost story about how either the ghost of sallie or the statue of the dog comes to life and wanders the battlefield looking for her troops.

My wife and I took a Seminary Ridge ghost tour last November. Our guide told a story of his reenactor friend walking past Sallie's monument and hearing something growl at him. His reenactor friend was a confederate and Sallie was still standing guard. Sounds pretty cool. I'd like to think that it were true.

The 91st Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry, two of my ancestors' regiment and the one I am writing a novel on, has a story related to a dog after the Battle of Fredericksburg in December of 1862. It was originally printed in The Saturday Evening Post on 27 December 1862. It relates the following:

[Saturday Evening Post 27 December 1862]
FIDELITY OF A DOG ON THE BATTLE-FIELD.-- On the Monday after the contest, as Hon. John Covode, in company with a number of officers, was passing over the battlefield beyond Fredericksburg, their attention was called to a small dog lying by a corpse. Mr. Covode halted a few minutes to see if life was extinct. Raising the coat from the man's face, he found him dead. The dog, looking wistfully up, ran to the dead man's face and kissed his silent lips. Such devotion in a small dog was so singular that Mr. Covode examined some papers upon the body, and found it to be that of Sergt. W. H. Brown, company C, 91st Pennsylvania.
The dog was shivering with the cold, but refused to leave his master's body, and as the coat was thrown over his face again he seemed very uneasy, and tried to get under it to the man's face. He had, it seems, followed the regiment into battle, and stuck to his master, and when he fell remained with him, refusing to leave him or to eat anything. As the party returned an ambulance was carrying the corpse to a little grove of trees for interment, and the little dog following [sic], the only mourner at that funeral, as the hero's comrades had been called to some other point.

I have a strong connection with dogs and horses and I cannot help but think that "The Boys," took comfort in having dogs follow them around from camp to camp and battle to battle. I cannot help to think that they felt some sort of solitude as they lay on the field of battle waiting for their final breath. It is amazing the longer I spend around horses and dogs, the feelings that they outwardly show. They are very spiritual and very soothing creatures.

troianibandofbrotherslg.jpg

On July 3rd, 1863 the Maryland Confederate Infantry charged the Union lines at Culp’s Hill with their dog named Grace. This horrific battle would see the Maryland Confederates suffer close to a 50% casualty rate. Colonel Wallace of the opposing 1st Maryland Eastern Shore Regiment U.S. said ” The 1st Maryland Confederate Regiment met us and were cut to pieces. We Sorrowfully gathered up many old friends and acquaintances and had them carefully and tenderly cared for.” Sadly killed in the action was Grace the loyal mascot of the Maryland Confederates. Union General Thomas Kane said “(S)He licked someone’s hand, they said, after (S)He was perfectly riddled.” Kane had Grace buried properly “as the only Christian minded being on either side.”

The Novel 'Two Brothers, One North on South' by David Jones has a brief description of the fate of Grace & the 1st MD Battalion. In the book Grace is tethered to a tree to keep her from harm. The battalion makes their doomed charge on the Yankees works & Grace slipped the leash to join them...' Not sure if the Author found a primary source or was taking artistic license.

This is a photo I took of Pardee Field. This is where Grace & the 1st MD charged. Two companies right of the stone wall & the rest of The battalion left of The wall. The Attack was made by Gen. George H. Steuart's Brigade. Defenders outnumbered the attackers & Steuart protested the order before carrying out the Attack. The union line is marked by the monuments seen across the field. The handful of Rebels able to make it that far did not come back... They were slaughtered & Steuart was left crying, 'My poor boys, My poor boys....'
This action was made on Culps Hill to support Pickett's Charge. Sadly for these men that assault was delayed by hours & the effort & lives were wasted.

Attachments

• pardeefield.jpg
    pardeefield.jpg
    150.7 KB · Views: 390
One of my ancestor's, an uncle, was killed at Gettysburg, with the 11th PA, David Adams. I hadn't known anything about the connection until going to their monument, to see where he might have fallen. So odd to have taken note of Sallie previously, then think gosh- guess he'd have known her. I always leave something- a coin when I forget a dog biscuit. It's hard to stand in front of that monument without getting choked up, truly. All that death there in Gettysburg, thinking of Sallie out amongst the battle and carnage-gets to you.

I could have sworn there was one more photo of Sallie somewhere? Thought I'd bumped into it some time ago- must go into the mess I call a photo album and poke around. Maybe my memory is shot, and it's a reenactor's pet I came across or something.

Wasn't there and eagle or hawk which was a mascot, lived through the war, died of old age and was stuffed? The stuffed animal I think was lost in a fire- was it D.C.?

loyalDogs.jpg

Battlefield lore is filled with examples of loyal dogs guarding their dead or wounded masters. (Frank Leslie's Illustrated)
It's such a powerful and evocative theme that when he painted the Gettysburg Cyclorama about 20 years after the battle, the artist Paul Philippoteaux included a scene of a dog howling over his dead master. We haven't been able to find out whether he was depicting an actual dog who was known to have accompanied soldiers at Gettysburg or whether the dog is symbolic. Does anyone here at CivilWarTalk know?

The following link to a panoramic photo was part of a 2005 Washington Post article and photo essay on the Cyclorama restoration. If you follow the link, pan to the right and stop at the haystack, where you'll see the black dog is just visible (though he appears small here) in the foreground, immediately to the haystack's left: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/metro/interactives/gettysburgpano/index.html
You may also want to check out the next link to the article's other Cyclorama photos. Here they have paired specific Cyclorama scenes with historic photos of those same sites on the battlefield: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/photo/gallery/070809/GAL-07Aug09-83854/index.html

There's a story bugging my memory about this picture- darn it. Is it the one where after the soldier was buried, the dog met his widow at the battlefield, showed her where he was buried? Or was that another battlefield? I had a grgrgruncle in the 11th PA, killed at Gettysburg, consequently spent some time being distracted by dogs of the Civil War.

7th PA Cavalry? Reuben Billman, West Penn, PA, grgrgruncle. Schuylkill Haven History website has some awesome Civil War and GAR history for your Schuylkill County part of the country- if you haven't bumped into it, it's a super find. You just never know who you'll find there. I found pension records and an obituary there, respectively, for both grgrgrandfathers from the area who were veterans.

From Stone Sentinels website:
http://www.gettysburg.stonesentinels.com/PA/11Pa.php
Sallie, the 11th Pennsylvania's smallest member

Sallie was given to the regiment as a puppy and took part in all their battles, taking position at the end of the firing line and barking furiously at the enemy. She was separated from the regiment at Gettysburg during the retreat through the town. After the battle the men returned to the scene of the first day's fighting and found Sallie, weak but alive, maintaining a vigil over the dead and dying.

There's a story bugging my memory about this picture- darn it. Is it the one where after the soldier was buried, the dog met his widow at the battlefield, showed her where he was buried? Or was that another battlefield? I had a grgrgruncle in the 11th PA, killed at Gettysburg, consequently spent some time being distracted by dogs of the Civil War.

7th PA Cavalry? Reuben Billman, West Penn, PA, grgrgruncle. Schuylkill Haven History website has some awesome Civil War and GAR history for your Schuylkill County part of the country- if you haven't bumped into it, it's a super find. You just never know who you'll find there. I found pension records and an obituary there, respectively, for both grgrgrandfathers from the area who were veterans.

Yes, I recall that story too. I believe it's the one Marilyn Seguin tells in "Dogs of War and Other Beasts of Battle" and Michael Zucchero also tells in "Loyal Hearts" about Lt. Louis Pfieff of the 3rd Illinois Infantry, who died at Shiloh. His widow searched in vain for his grave until the dog met her and took her to the spot.

Thank you for the reference to the Schuylkill Haven History site. I'll have to check it out! I've recently downloaded "Sabre Strokes of the Pennsylvania Dragoons." My grgrgrandfather's experience with the unit was brief--less than a year--because he was injured in a fall from a horse and received a medical discharge. Did your grgruncle in the 7th survive the war? On our last visit to the museum at the Gettysburg Visitor Center, I recall seeing David Adams's name listed as the 11th Pennsylvania's only soldier killed on the first day at Gettysburg. So he was likely among the soldiers Sallie was guarding on Oak Ridge.

Ohh, thank you! I only knew I'd read the story, not which battle- what a story! Gives you chills. I think I read the widow's account also, which gives you double chills. Gosh, I hope you're able to track down the genesis of your Gettysburg dog- if it's an actual dog and not representative, would be great to know and commemorate!

I somehow did not realize David Adams was the single 11th PA member killed that day.Good grief, it simply never occured to me he would have been one of the men Sallie guarded, thank you! At the moment I'm trying to track down a maddeningly elusive referrence I KNOW I save somewhere, now cannot find. Someone claimed he was one of 8 (?) I think, mounted members of the 11th, NO idea how that would have been the case- so wish to find it again, track down the source and ask ???? . He has a memorial on Find A Grave ( I just tried to shorten that to initials- it does NOT work ), which says he is buried under 'unknown' in the National Cemetery- something else which confuses me since a. West Penn, PA is not all that far away ( compared to elsewhere for a lot of these men ), and the family did have the resources to come get him, and b. If he's 'unknown', why listed as buried there under his name? His sister was my grgrgrandmother, Lavina. Her husband Thomas is listed as having purchased a draft replacement, wonder how that went down in the marraige. :smile:

Yes, Reuben survived the war, I think lived into the 1900's long enough to have attended some of those reunions of the 7th. His father Reuben also served during the invasion, not long, but I think was not at Gettysburg. There may be a photo of Reuben Jr., but unless I'm truly positive, just do not ever put them together.

If you haven't read it. " Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions " is one of those books you attempt to read in one shot ( and can't- there's just too much ), Eric Wittenburg manages to tie in the who-was-what-and-where-and-who-put-them-there, for the days of Gettysburg- and what on earth happened. I know we all have far too many CW books to get to, but that would be a must-read for anyone who had a Cavalry ancestor there. I do not follow battle movements well, either, and you actually CAN in this.

Your grgruncle David Adams is well remembered at Find A Grave. Agreed, it's confusing to see that he was buried as Unknown. Maybe you'll discover more about the circumstances sometime. I've just left a photo of Sallie at Find A Grave for him.

Thank you for recommending "Gettysburg's Forgotten Cavalry Actions." I will look it up. Sounds like a great read.

If you happen to have a title or on-line reference to Mrs. Pfieff's memoir, I would greatly appreciate it. The other story of a Civil War widow and a husband's dog that I've become intrigued by is the one about General William Barksdale of Mississippi, whose wife reportedly took his favorite dog with her to Gettysburg when she went to claim his body. As the story goes, the dog refused to leave his gravesite after General Barksdale was disinterred, and Mrs. Barksdale had to leave him behind. The dog is said to have either died there or eventually disappeared. So far, I've been unable to find any original sources for the story, although it's widely shared on-line. Maybe someone here knows.

Thank you for leaving that! Someone created David's memorial, must have been his descendent's grandchild, I bumped into it some time ago and sponsered it. He had a younger brother who probably drove them all crazy because he seems to have run off and joined, fortunately only old enough to PASS for old enough at the end of the war. He lived, thank goodness. There's another part of he family, youngest did indeed drive them all crazy by insisting on enlisting after 2 brothers had already died, a 3rd was in uniform,youngest then killed at Gettysburg 2nd day. Terrible story, can't imagine.

Yes, certainly- I'll look for Mrs. Pfieff's memoir reference, will let you know. I tend to save those blurbs I like either in docs or at least as a link on the ' Favorites ' menu- unfortunately I use 3 different family computers... .

Maybe start a thread asking that question on Mrs. Barksdale? You've probably seen enough of this forum to know there are people here who could very well know the dog's name, it's date of birth AND the color of Mrs. Barksdale dress when she got off the train. It's just kind of amazing ( and intimidating ) . :smile:

Mr. Lincoln Meets A War Dog

The farm boys and small-town residents who made up most of the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry were among the first soldiers to enlist when Abraham Lincoln issued his call for 75,000 troops in April 1861. Motivated by patriotism and the prospect of adventure, they thought it would take just 90 days to put down the Rebellion. But as they and the nation soon learned, there would be no swift end to hostilities.

By the following April, the 11th had become a cohesive fighting force, experienced in combat, skilled in drills and tactics. Their mascot, Sallie, a handsome bull terrier, had grown from a four-week-old pup to a hardy and faithful companion who delighted in the fellowship of army life. And the soldiers, to whom she was fiercely loyal, delighted in her companionship.

Sallie especially enjoyed drills and dress parades. On parade, she would eagerly take her place at the front of the line to lead the commanding officer’s horse. During drills, she would lie quietly beside the color bearers, guarding her regiment’s flags. Whenever the regiment broke camp, her self-appointed role was to lead the colonel’s horse as the march began.

On April 15, 1862, the 11th was stationed in Washington, DC, when their commanding officer, Colonel Richard Coulter, received an invitation for the regiment to march in review at the White House. The regiment’s chaplain would later write in his memoirs of Lincoln’s “kindly smile” as he stood on the front steps watching.

Nearly a year later, the 11th would meet the commander in chief again, and Sallie would receive special notice. On April 8, 1863, while near Fredericksburg, Virginia, the 11th again marched in review before President Lincoln. The President saluted officers he knew, waved his hat to the enlisted men, and when he saw Sallie marching proudly by, tipped his hat to her in courtly acknowledgment. As the historians of the 11th would write, “Sallie had given pleasure to a man who was heavily burdened with the decisions of war.” Lincoln, who loved animals, no doubt recognized the bond of affection between the soldiers and their mascot and the good cheer that she brought to the men. And, for the moment, he shared in that good cheer and the camaraderie of a faithful dog.

Sources: “A Colonel, A Flag and A Dog” by Cindy Stouffer and Shirley Cubbison
“The Story of the Regiment” by Rev. William Henry Locke
“The War Dog” by John Lippy

donna,
Thank you for the wonderful post. It brought tears to my eyes. No longer re-enacting, I am now active in Bully dog rescues. I could see Sallie in my mind's eye as I read her story.
When I go to Gettysburg I'll look for her monument with the 11th Penn. Vol. Inf.
A movie should be made about Sallie.

Mr. Lincoln Meets A War Dog

The farm boys and small-town residents who made up most of the 11th Pennsylvania Volunteer Infantry were among the first soldiers to enlist when Abraham Lincoln issued his call for 75,000 troops in April 1861. Motivated by patriotism and the prospect of adventure, they thought it would take just 90 days to put down the Rebellion. But as they and the nation soon learned, there would be no swift end to hostilities.

By the following April, the 11th had become a cohesive fighting force, experienced in combat, skilled in drills and tactics. Their mascot, Sallie, a handsome bull terrier, had grown from a four-week-old pup to a hardy and faithful companion who delighted in the fellowship of army life. And the soldiers, to whom she was fiercely loyal, delighted in her companionship.

Sallie especially enjoyed drills and dress parades. On parade, she would eagerly take her place at the front of the line to lead the commanding officer’s horse. During drills, she would lie quietly beside the color bearers, guarding her regiment’s flags. Whenever the regiment broke camp, her self-appointed role was to lead the colonel’s horse as the march began.

On April 15, 1862, the 11th was stationed in Washington, DC, when their commanding officer, Colonel Richard Coulter, received an invitation for the regiment to march in review at the White House. The regiment’s chaplain would later write in his memoirs of Lincoln’s “kindly smile” as he stood on the front steps watching.

Nearly a year later, the 11th would meet the commander in chief again, and Sallie would receive special notice. On April 8, 1863, while near Fredericksburg, Virginia, the 11th again marched in review before President Lincoln. The President saluted officers he knew, waved his hat to the enlisted men, and when he saw Sallie marching proudly by, tipped his hat to her in courtly acknowledgment. As the historians of the 11th would write, “Sallie had given pleasure to a man who was heavily burdened with the decisions of war.” Lincoln, who loved animals, no doubt recognized the bond of affection between the soldiers and their mascot and the good cheer that she brought to the men. And, for the moment, he shared in that good cheer and the camaraderie of a faithful dog.

Sources: “A Colonel, A Flag and A Dog” by Cindy Stouffer and Shirley Cubbison
“The Story of the Regiment” by Rev. William Henry Locke
“The War Dog” by John Lippy
Thanks, LoDs...I do remember that, but can read it a dozen more times! Thank you! We sure are dog-lovers, aren't we? I live alone--no, I take that back- I live with my best friend, Bonny Blue (just Bonny everyday)--don't know WHAT I'd do without her! And "Tara" is about to be born any day now...she doesn't know it yet, but she's coming to live here...Hope Bonny is OK with this! Goldens are so very sweet--why can't they live longer? I've had 7 "American" goldens before Bonny, an "English Cream Golden," ---not good watch dogs in the least:giggle:, but "Scarlett", out in Seattle fought off a Rottweiler who attacked me. I was petrified that Scarlett would be killed, as the owner of the beast just smiled!:mad: Blood flew-I panicked, then.....the Rottweiler went howling down the beach! If I had been 20 years younger, that guy would be......well,....sorry.

One of my ancestor's, an uncle, was killed at Gettysburg, with the 11th PA, David Adams. I hadn't known anything about the connection until going to their monument, to see where he might have fallen. So odd to have taken note of Sallie previously, then think gosh- guess he'd have known her. I always leave something- a coin when I forget a dog biscuit. It's hard to stand in front of that monument without getting choked up, truly. All that death there in Gettysburg, thinking of Sallie out amongst the battle and carnage-gets to you.

I could have sworn there was one more photo of Sallie somewhere? Thought I'd bumped into it some time ago- must go into the mess I call a photo album and poke around. Maybe my memory is shot, and it's a reenactor's pet I came across or something.

Wasn't there and eagle or hawk which was a mascot, lived through the war, died of old age and was stuffed? The stuffed animal I think was lost in a fire- was it D.C.?
It was "OLD ABE" of the 8th Wisconsin--died in Madison Wisconsin from smoke inhalation from a fire in the basement of the capital. Abe was an eagle.

Back