1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Modern Salads or donuts?

Discussion in 'Modern Foods Forum' started by major bill, Feb 13, 2018.

1. major bill

major bill Colonel Forum Host

Three days ago I purchased a bag of salad. When I went to use it some of it was turning brown. If I had purchased a bag of donuts instead they would have been perfectly fresh. So buy donuts instead of salads so you don't waste food.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. mofederal

mofederal Captain

Lettuce goes fast, and gets greasy, and sometimes donuts are about like wood, depends on where you buy it. I like the both a lot.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2018
    AnnaLee likes this.
  4. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

I have a sugar problem,so donuts or salad,,,,,no brainer..DONUTS YES.

5. donna

donna Brev. Brig. Gen'l Forum Host

Sometimes have to be careful of lettuce in bags. There have been several recalls.

I always buy head of lettuce and other types fresh. I wash them very well and use what need for my salads. Just add tomatoes or cut up carrots to salad. It seems safer.

6. nitrofd

nitrofd Colonel

My wife will only buy Romanine Hearts when it comes to bagged lettuuce.they stay fresh and we use them up before they ever go brown.

7. Larryh86GT

Larryh86GT First Sergeant

My wife also prefers to purchase only Romaine for salads. It stays much fresher than
    the iceburg lettuce. As for donuts I am a fan of timbits myself.

8. donna

I love Jelly and Custard donuts.

9. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Anna Elizabeth Henry 2nd Lieutenant Silver Patron

When I do buy bagged lettuce it's always Romaine and I always rinse it off well before using. It might claim it's been rinsed, but since I don't know how well it's been cleaned, I'd rather be safe than sorry.

As for donuts versus lettuce, that's an unfair match-up - donuts taste way better than lettuce and do have a longer shelf life, so hands down donuts are better all around.

AnnaLee, mofederal and donna like this.
  10. Malingerer

Malingerer 2nd Lieutenant

That is just solid advice right there.

mofederal likes this.
  11. major bill

Romaine is much more nutritious than iceberg.

12. major bill

So my next question : I take it salads were not the same during the Civil War as they are today. Do they even eat what we call salads? If not, how was lettuce ate during the Civil War?

mofederal likes this.
  13. Larryh86GT

Did they add raisins, crushed walnuts, lil cucs, cheese and croutons? And 1000 island
    or blue cheese dressing?

14. Anna Elizabeth Henry

They ate some form of salad, just perhaps not what we're familiar with today. I did check in Mrs. Beeton's cookbook (published around the time of the Civil War) to see how often salad was mentioned. It's typically mentioned in the form of dressing, especially for chicken, egg and potato salad, among other things - along with what we consider garden salad today.

Here's an excerpt -

SALAD DRESSING (Excellent). I. 506. INGREDIENTS.—1 teaspoonful of mixed mustard, 1 teaspoonful of pounded sugar, 2 tablespoonfuls of salad oil, 4 tablespoonfuls of milk, 2 tablespoonfuls of vinegar, cayenne and salt to taste. Mode.—Put the mixed mustard into a salad-bowl with the sugar, and add the oil drop by drop, carefully stirring and mixing all these ingredients well together. Proceed in this manner with the milk and vinegar, which must be added very gradually, or the sauce will curdle. Put in the seasoning, when the mixture will be ready for use. If this dressing is properly made, it will have a soft creamy appearance, and will be found very delicious with crab, or cold fried fish (the latter cut into dice), as well as with salads. In mixing salad dressings, the ingredients cannot be added too gradually, or stirred too much. Average cost, for this quantity, 3d. Sufficient for a small salad. This recipe can be confidently recommended by the editress, to whom it was given by an intimate friend noted for her salads.

SCARCITY OF SALADS IN ENGLAND.—Three centuries ago, very few vegetables were cultivated in England, and an author writing of the period of Henry VIII.'s reign, tells us that neither salad, nor carrots, nor cabbages, nor radishes, nor any other comestibles of a like nature, were grown in any part of the kingdom: they came from Holland and Flanders. We further learn, that Queen Catherine herself, with all her royalty, could not procure a salad of English growth for her dinner. The king was obliged to mend this sad state of affairs, and send to Holland for a gardener in order to cultivate those pot-herbs, in the growth of which England is now, perhaps, not behind any other country in Europe. Source

AnnaLee and donna like this.
  15. Anna Elizabeth Henry

Oddly enough Mrs. Beeton has a recipe for French dressing!

REMOULADE, or FRENCH SALAD-DRESSING. 503. INGREDIENTS.—4 eggs, 1/2 tablespoonful of made mustard, salt and cayenne to taste, 3 tablespoonfuls of olive-oil, 1 tablespoonful of tarragon or plain vinegar.

Mode.—Boil 3 eggs quite hard for about 1/4 hour, put them into cold water, and let them remain in it for a few minutes; strip off the shells, put the yolks in a mortar, and pound them very smoothly; add to them, very gradually, the mustard, seasoning, and vinegar, keeping all well stirred and rubbed down with the back of a wooden spoon. Put in the oil drop by drop, and when this is thoroughly mixed with the other ingredients, add the yolk of a raw egg, and stir well, when it will be ready for use. This sauce should not be curdled; and to prevent this, the only way is to mix a little of everything at a time, and not to cease stirring. The quantities of oil and vinegar may be increased or diminished according to taste, as many persons would prefer a smaller proportion of the former ingredient. Source

AnnaLee, Larryh86GT and donna like this.
  16. donna

Brought up some threads on lettuce and early dressing. Lettuce was enjoyed as a salad during Civil War era.

17. AnnaLee

AnnaLee Sergeant

I buy different types of lettuce and mix them. I also add spinach as well as other veggies. When I was growing up my Kentucky born and bred mother grew her own lettuce. She fried bacon and poured the hot grease over the lettuce. It had bits of bacon in it and you had to eat it while hot. It's a little bitter eating it but I liked it. Talk about plugging your arteries! She usually made this when her new lettuce started to grow. I haven't eaten wilted lettuce in 60+ years and probably never will again.
    My preference would be donuts-the yeast-made type. but now-a-days I generally eat healthy so I have a lot of salads.

18. Larryh86GT

I grow leaf lettuce in the spring and summer. Just too much snow on the ground right now.

Anna Elizabeth Henry and donna like this.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)