Sailors in land battles

Thank you Gary, I'm not real familiar with this battle and would like to do a little research. What year did this battle take place?
1863. Probably the best source of information I found on it is the published version of Fred James's diary. As it happens, Jefferson Hammer, who edited the diary, passed away a few years ago and I inherited all of his files and I researched every man I could identify who was captured. Among the officers captured were Samuel Preston and Benjamin Porter, who died within yards of each other at Fort Fisher. I can share this with you if you like.

I know that in some later wars sailors received from training in land combat. This is my dad in World War Two and apparently he had some training in land combat or as part of an invasion force as showed by his insignia above his rank. However, sailors in the Civil War did not receive several months of training if fight on land.
View attachment 330386
My father-in-law was in the Navy during WW II. His ship was sunk, but he and most, if not all of his shipmates made it to shore, where they managed to hook up with the U. S. Army.

The Army asked the Navy to come pick them up, but the Navy didn't have any other ships in the area at the time, so they told the Army to just hang on for a while and they would get to them eventually.

The Army commanding general decided he wasn't going to have a bunch of sailors eating his grub and otherwise just sitting around and doing nothing, so he issued them all helmets and rifles and told them they were in the Army until further notice.

My father-in-law always said that he served in the Navy - under Patton.

Don´t argue that. However the artillery used by sailors usually wasn´t field artillery either; it was naval artillery provisionally used as field or siege artillery.
The problem with this thing is that USMC history is often, well, difficult, to pin down. In the first half of the 19th Century Commandant Henderson wanted marine artillery, but never got it. During the CW, marine enlisted men did man ship's guns and continued to do so after the war. Naval landing parties continued to be mostly sailors. In the Spanish-American War, marines had their own 3 inch guns on the ground. Beyond this, I am not sure about much.
Sailors were expected to accept being part of landing parties and be able to handle close combat, as they did on board. As to the marines, they were infantry, basically the fleet's riflemen. beyond that, well..... here's two questions i'm not sure I can answer.
How many marines stormed "The Halls of Montezuma"?
Of the 500 odd men led by Americans against Derma in 1805 ("The Shores of Tripoli"), how many were marines?

Back