Ammo Sabot??

The function of the sabot was not only to impart spin for rifled guns, it also sealed some of the gap between the diameter of the projectile and the inside the canon barrel. This allow more of the force of the explosion of the powder to be imparted into the forward motion of the projectile, rather than to escape around the projectile.

The type of sabot depends in part on the type of ammunition. The sabot of the Hotchkiss and Schenkl projectiles were afixed to the middle of the projectile to give more stability. The Schenkl used a paper mâché sabot, which was rather effective, unless it got wet. The paper sabot was less dangerous to troops positioned between the canon and its target, as compared to having pieces of hot metal rain down. A good book is "Civil War Artillery at Gettysburg" by Philip M. Cole.

Thank you very much; I'm pleased that you've found it of use.

Once upon a time there was a spot on this site where one could post articles and it was hidden away there but that feature is gone now. It's not something I can just post on a thread. Whenever I happen to see where somebody says they're newly interested in field artillery I offer them a copy - and some have accepted - so it has got around a little bit. I've edited it and expanded it several times since I wrote the original, partly based on comments I've received.

I have fantasized about somehow publishing it on the internet somewhere but I don't have a clue how that might be accomplished. I'm certainly not going to try and develop my own web site just for that. I'm not really very tech savvy (or attracted to such) so I guess it'll just remain one of my little pet projects.

John,
Could I read said document, always trying top learn more about CW Artillery

The function of the sabot was not only to impart spin for rifled guns, it also sealed some of the gap between the diameter of the projectile and the inside the canon barrel. This allow more of the force of the explosion of the powder to be imparted into the forward motion of the projectile, rather than to escape around the projectile.

The type of sabot depends in part on the type of ammunition. The sabot of the Hotchkiss and Schenkl projectiles were afixed to the middle of the projectile to give more stability. The Schenkl used a paper mâché sabot, which was rather effective, unless it got wet. The paper sabot was less dangerous to troops positioned between the canon and its target, as compared to having pieces of hot metal rain down. A good book is "Civil War Artillery at Gettysburg" by Philip M. Cole.
Concur on the Cole book. It's a nice summary of technical and other aspects without going too far into the weeds.

During the civil war, if artillery was firing over the heads of their infantry then they would get pelted by falling pieces of sabot. This would obviously have a bad effect on the boys on the ground.

Back