Saber vs. pistol article

Are we mixing timelines? The 30-06 was patented in 1906 and was never, ever jacked into a chamber of a lever-action (i believe). The .44 was useful in that it could be used in both the revolver and the Winchester.

I believe the article spans the whole history. It's on a summary page with photos of some actual weapons carried by the Rangers. I actually thought about leaving that part out because I knew someone would notice that more than the parts I highlighted. :smile:

Are we mixing timelines? The 30-06 was patented in 1906 and was never, ever jacked into a chamber of a lever-action (i believe). The .44 was useful in that it could be used in both the revolver and the Winchester.

The Winchester Model 1895 High Wall was offered in a chambering for 30-06 in the early 1900's after the US Goverment introduced it as .30 Caliber Goverment of 1906. The 95 could safely use the 06 because of it's magazine system a five round box magazine instead of the tubular under barrel magazine of the 1876, 1892 and 1894.

The Winchester Model 1895 High Wall was offered in a chambering for 30-06 in the early 1900's after the US Goverment introduced it as .30 Caliber Goverment of 1906. The 95 could safely use the 06 because of it's magazine system a five round box magazine instead of the tubular under barrel magazine of the 1876, 1892 and 1894.
Never heard of it, but if you say it's so, I'll believe it.

By the bye, the tube magazine doesn't work well with pointy cartridges. It would have to be a box magazine.

Hence the reason that all factory made 30-30 ammo is blunt or rounded end. The cartridge was designed to function in the Model 94 with a tublar magazine.

Back to the ACW:

While multiple sidearms were no where near the norm, in partisan units in the Trans-Miss especially where their fighting centered around the raid and mounted skirmishing the carry of multiple handguns made sense. They were often carried on a large lanyard with two to four and suspended around the neck. The Trans-Miss version of the New York Speed loader. The use of carbines and rifles seem minimal with notable exceptions like McCorkle who was a partisan sniper of note.

Hence the reason that all factory made 30-30 ammo is blunt or rounded end. The cartridge was designed to function in the Model 94 with a tublar magazine.

Back to the ACW:

While multiple sidearms were no where near the norm, in partisan units in the Trans-Miss especially where their fighting centered around the raid and mounted skirmishing the carry of multiple handguns made sense. They were often carried on a large lanyard with two to four and suspended around the neck. The Trans-Miss version of the New York Speed loader. The use of carbines and rifles seem minimal with notable exceptions like McCorkle who was a partisan sniper of note.

And I get tired during a football game with one Nikon around my neck! I can't even imagine riding a horse all day with several of those things dragging down on my poor old spine.

One more note about partisans; Tennessee recruited several regiments of cavalry to fight for the US, most notably the 2nd, which Forrest captured. Many of them died in the Sultana disaster. But there were some useless, bushwhacking units among them, most notably Stokes' 5th Tenn (US). You can read all about them in the OR. They were averse to serving outside their own counties, bushwhacked as bad as Champ Ferguson, violated parole, and of course their officers wrote reports that conflict with stories handed down in family lore or written up in Confederate reports.

One more note about partisans; Tennessee recruited several regiments of cavalry to fight for the US, most notably the 2nd, which Forrest captured. Many of them died in the Sultana disaster. But there were some useless, bushwhacking units among them, most notably Stokes' 5th Tenn (US). You can read all about them in the OR. They were averse to serving outside their own counties, bushwhacked as bad as Champ Ferguson, violated parole, and of course their officers wrote reports that conflict with stories handed down in family lore or written up in Confederate reports.

Yes there is always conflicts with lore and reports, however I'll take McCorkles word and the offical reports of the officers in regards to multiple sidearms used by Missouri Partisans, Anderson had multiple sidearms in his possession when killed, as did Clements , and Quantrill, former partisans such as the Youngers and James routinely carried 2 or three sidearms while robbing banks after the war and the advent of fixed ammuition.

So....did you ever wonder just how they tied those revolvers around their necks? They sure didn't tie the string through the trigger guard! They carved a notch in the bottom of the grips deep enough to expose a gap through the inside of the bottom grip strap. They then threaded the string, rope, etc., through the carved out hole and added another revolver on the other end of the string the same way. I wish I knew that years ago when I passed up all of those Colt 1860 Armies for sale that had the grips carved up in that fashion. I have never seen many Colt 1851 Navy revolvers modified that way, but I have seen a lot of 1860 Armies. All of this from discussions with people like Bill Adams, Paul Davies, etc.

Jobe

Yes there is always conflicts with lore and reports, however I'll take McCorkles word and the offical reports of the officers in regards to multiple sidearms used by Missouri Partisans, Anderson had multiple sidearms in his possession when killed, as did Clements , and Quantrill, former partisans such as the Youngers and James routinely carried 2 or three sidearms while robbing banks after the war and the advent of fixed ammuition.
I totally agree. What Stokes' officers were falsifying was that in many cases they simply murdered their prisoners.

So....did you ever wonder just how they tied those revolvers around their necks? They sure didn't tie the string through the trigger guard! They carved a notch in the bottom of the grips deep enough to expose a gap through the inside of the bottom grip strap. They then threaded the string, rope, etc., through the carved out hole and added another revolver on the other end of the string the same way. I wish I knew that years ago when I passed up all of those Colt 1860 Armies for sale that had the grips carved up in that fashion. I have never seen many Colt 1851 Navy revolvers modified that way, but I have seen a lot of 1860 Armies. All of this from discussions with people like Bill Adams, Paul Davies, etc.

Jobe

That's so sad. I feel your pain :smile: Sometimes it's almost better not to find out something, isn't it?

I totally agree. What Stokes' officers were falsifying was that in many cases they simply murdered their prisoners.

Stokes sounds alot like C Company 9th Missouri State Militia Cavalry under Dan Drapper. They were so bad that General Guitar the 9th's former Regimental Commander was brought to say that: "They are as bad as Redlegs."

I have to admit an utter contempt for partisans & guerrillas (of either side). It wasn't like they couldn't ride off to join up with the army. Instead they seemed content to avoid the army and go on rampages of rapine, murder and theft. I can see no redeeming qualities in the likes of Anderson, Quantrill etc and more than their share of cowardice.

They certainly weren't Cavalry.

I have to admit an utter contempt for partisans & guerrillas (of either side). It wasn't like they couldn't ride off to join up with the army. Instead they seemed content to avoid the army and go on rampages of rapine, murder and theft.
That is exactly what Stuart thought. Below is an excerpt from a letter to his brother, who had written to him about a young man from his area who wanted to join Mosby:

Although Mosby is part of my command, & was as it were brought up by me – I consider it much more evidence of “grit” to join the 4th Va. Cavy or any other organized regt of Cavy as a private than Mosby’s Partizan Rangers. With the former the sole motive is patriotism & sense of duty, with the latter the hope of plunder & the desire to escape the wholesome restraints of military discipline actuate the greater part. Mosby himself and about 15 of his men are none such, but I am sorry to say the majority are a worthless rabble & none know it better than Mosby himself.

Advise our friends to join some organized cavalry regiment in the Service.

Stuart might be slightly prejudiced - every man joining a partisan ranger unit is a man, horse, and gun not available to the regulars, but given the merits (or lack of) of the irregulars, I can't blame him for that.

Unless I'm grossly mistaken Forrest would have agreed w/ Stuart.

And no, I never have found that reference to Stuart confiscating slave catchers horses during the Gettysburg Campaign. I wish I could though as it would be one more reason to think highly of the man.

That is exactly what Stuart thought. Below is an excerpt from a letter to his brother, who had written to him about a young man from his area who wanted to join Mosby:

Back