S.O. 100/IIII April 11, 1864 Transfer of Confederate Army soldiers to the C.S. Navy

JudyF63

Cadet
My 2nd GGF, Thomas Barry, served two years with the 9th Kentucky Infantry Regiment and was part of a group of 100 soldiers transferred to the C.S. Navy and ordered to report to Lieutenant W. W. Carnes in Macon, Ga. His obituary states that Tom was captured near Savannah in 1864 and pressed into the U.S. Navy. Unfortunately I have yet to find any records of his Navy service or any records of him being taken prisoner. I am wondering if there is any information out there about this group of soldiers and what was going on? Did they get moved to bolster the Savannah Squadron?

He appears in the CS Navy personnel records but I can't find page 38 paging @AndyHall
Barry Thomas.jpg

These entries (apparently both for Thomas Barry) are at the C.S. Navy Sailors site:

Thomas Barry, originally served as sergeant, company H, 9th Kentucky Mounted Infantry; reduced to private; transferred to the Confederate States Navy at an unspecified date. [Civil War Service Records.]

Thomas Barry, served as landsman on the CSS Resolute, Savannah squadron, 1864. [Confederate Navy subject file N - Personnel; NA - Complements, rolls, lists of persons, etc.; CSS New Orleans - Yorktown, page 586.]

http://rblong.net/sailor/b-1.html

Appears he was transferred by Special order No. 100/3, Army of the Tennessee, on or about 11 April 1864. That's a start.

Attachments

• Thomas Barry, Ninth Kentucky Mounted Infantry (CS).pdf
    1.4 MB · Views: 48
Appears he was transferred by Special order No. 100/3, Army of the Tennessee, on or about 11 April 1864. That's a start.
Thanks, Andy. I have that info from Fold3. In the reference above to [Confederate Navy subject file N - Personnel; NA - Complements, rolls, lists of persons, etc.; CSS New Orleans - Yorktown, page 586.] -How do I find the original source material? Reading about the CSS Resolute, it jives with the statement about him being taken prisoner near Savannah in 1864. The Resolute was captured on Dec. 12th by soldiers of Co. F of the 3rd Wisconsin Infantry. Any thoughts about where to find prisoner rolls from that action?

Back