Restricted S.C REMOVE THE AFRICAN AMERICAN MONUMENT!

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
That was the headline (and their -CNN- all caps.) The text is here.

Looks like some SC Citizens want a recently build African American Monument with things they find offensive gone from the State House, now that the CBF is gone.

Not sure that this will have a happy ending...

Edit: Better writeup here. From the locals. Edited by Chellers.

Old_Glory

2nd Lieutenant

I'm actually shocked at how well put together that petition was. I was expecting to see gibberish. If it was built on the agreement that the CBF would be moved, then they have a good point. Put the flag back up and leave all the monuments alone. Problem solved.

huskerblitz

Major
I'm actually shocked at how well put together that petition was. I was expecting to see gibberish. If it was built on the agreement that the CBF would be moved, then they have a good point. Put the flag back up and leave all the monuments alone. Problem solved.
It's not part of the original legislation, as far as I can find.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
-:- A Mime -:-
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
It comes across as childish. And pouty. Sorry, it just does.

Yes it does. The freedom of expression includes that of making a fool of oneself. It just tap into the feeling of the folks that can get a few hundred folks to a rally, that they have real political power.

a-change1.jpg?zoom=1.jpg

E_just_E

Captain
Forum Host
Retired Moderator
This petition is an admission that honoring the confederate flag is diametrically opposed to honoring African-Americans.

I don't think so. Their 2 arguments are something like:

a. There was legislative action that placed the flag and the monument there in 2000, thus, if they remove the flag they should remove the monument, because they are linked by that legislative action
b. The monument "depicts slave ships, mistreatment and words such as "segregation" and "Jim Crow". This being the case, it is undeniable that this monument can and does serve to invoke in the white community feelings of shame, humiliation and offense, serving as a constant reminder of the dark history of slavery." So, in other words, it hurts some people's feelings, the same way the CBF hurts some other people's feelings, so they should go.

I think that it is silliness and politics, from both sides. And I think that there was legal help with that petition and was not written by the people who parade with dual CBFs on their truck beds...

James B White

Captain
Honored Fallen Comrade
...can and does serve to invoke in the white community feelings of shame, humiliation and offense,...

I think that right there proves Cash's point. I know of black Americans who don't want to be reminded of the days of slavery. It seems to be shameful to them, not because of what their ancestors did (they did nothing particularly bad) but because of the position they were forced into by society--the helplessness, the superiority of whites, the degradation. I dunno, but they seem the type who would not enjoy that monument. None of the ones I know of live in SC, but I'd be surprised if there weren't some there too. Yet the complainers didn't include those people. They spoke only for white people. They made it into a race thing: if you black people want to take down our white people's flag, we'll take down your black people's monument.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
I don't think so. Their 2 arguments are something like:

a. There was legislative action that placed the flag and the monument there in 2000, thus, if they remove the flag they should remove the monument, because they are linked by that legislative action
b. The monument "depicts slave ships, mistreatment and words such as "segregation" and "Jim Crow". This being the case, it is undeniable that this monument can and does serve to invoke in the white community feelings of shame, humiliation and offense, serving as a constant reminder of the dark history of slavery." So, in other words, it hurts some people's feelings, the same way the CBF hurts some other people's feelings, so they should go.

I think that it is silliness and politics, from both sides. And I think that there was legal help with that petition and was not written by the people who parade with dual CBFs on their truck beds...

I think they simply read the webpage for the monument which asserts without evidence there was a compromise.

jgoodguy

Banished Forever
is a terrible thing...
Don’t feed the Mime
Could be, but that petition looks like lawyer talk... Not expensive lawyer, mind you.

A really cheap one. The idea that a compromise to get one law passed applies to subsequent laws plumbs the depths of ignorance about law and politics.

Pat Young

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Featured Book Reviewer
That was the headline (and their -CNN- all caps.) The text is here.

Looks like some SC Citizens want a recently build African American Monument with things they find offensive gone from the State House, now that the CBF is gone.

Just an effort by the CBF folks to show they are hardcore racists.

Booner

2nd Lieutenant
Forum Host
"Just an effort by the CBF folks to show they are hardcore racists."

I don't think so-- just political correctness following it's logical conclusion. Lets remove everything that offends anyone. Pretty soon all we'll have left are monuments to kitties and bunnies.