Rust Removal on Antique Sword Advice

Samyoung21

Cadet
I was given this sword, the blade has a lot of active rust. Is there a good way to remove red rust without decreasing value or removing the patina? or should I just go ahead and clean the blade fully. The sword is a Model 1840 NCO officers sword.

PXL_20210416_203819205.jpg

PXL_20210416_203833316.jpg

PXL_20210416_203851211.jpg

I would start with soaking in white vinegar and lets see how much comes off with that first before we get into the commercial rust removal products. Try and keep of the brass.

I would start with soaking in white vinegar and lets see how much comes off with that first before we get into the commercial rust removal products. Try and keep of the brass.
Alright, yea I definitely don't want to mess up the hilt it has a nice patina.

In the world of cleaning rust off tubular kerosene lanterns many use a reverse electrolysis set up. Others use white vinegar, pH minus, or Gandma's Molasses soaks. Depending on how superficial the rust is, original Blue Dawn will soak off rust, as well. Check a FAQS question at Kirkman Lanterns in Ramona, CA.

There is a particular stainless steel scouring ball that, combined with the above works wonders and does not take off anything but the rust. Tim Prince and Cliff Sophia, schooled me on the process and I couldn't believe how well it worked, particularly on blued/browned barrels, that had some surface rust. White vinegar is key to the sword, never do that to a blued or brown barrel, you'll lose the browning, along with the rust.

Back