RR gandy dancers

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)

ucvrelics

Captain
Forum Host
As early as 1960 they were syill doing this as when I was a little boy and would go to work with my Grandfather who the bridge superintendent on the Southern RR the track workers were still singing these as they were used as a way for all the men to get together and shove or push what ever it was. It was a lot better that 1 2 3 push and they could sing so really great old songs. This very helpful when they were aligning track.

archieclement

1st Lieutenant
Forum Host
As early as 1960 they were syill doing this as when I was a little boy and would go to work with my Grandfather who the bridge superintendent on the Southern RR the track workers were still singing these as they were used as a way for all the men to get together and shove or push what ever it was. It was a lot better that 1 2 3 push and they could sing so really great old songs. This very helpful when they were aligning track.
Theres some very similar chain gang songs out there from 1920's-40's, it was quite interesting to listen them, but I love blues, and all these contributed to the blues