Route from Battle of the Wilderness to Andersonville Prison

Lindahs1

Private
Hello everyone,
My ancestor was captured at the Battle of the Wilderness on May 5, 1864. I'm wondering if anyone might know the route from there to Andersonville Prison and how long it would have taken. He was a private with the 146th NY. Thanks for any direction or suggestions. Linda

Hello everyone,
My ancestor was captured at the Battle of the Wilderness on May 5, 1864. I'm wondering if anyone might know the route from there to Andersonville Prison and how long it would have taken. He was a private with the 146th NY. Thanks for any direction or suggestions. Linda
That's a good question. I too had two relatives that were sent to Andersonville, both died there, after being captured at Spotsylvania. Never gave much thought on what they went through getting there. I would have to assume they were taken by train but not sure. Will have to look into that. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

I believe that the prisoners were sent to Richmond. Those that were wounded would have remained in the Field hospitals at the Wilderness,under the care of Federal surgeons left behind/volunteered to remain for the purpose, until they were able to travel. I don't know how long they stayed in Richmond if they were to be transferred to other places. A lot of concerned parents, wives, etc. placed ads in the Richmond newspapers requesting information about their relatives. Here's a couple of examples:
1564370067783.png

1564370614403.png

1564370664154.png

Richmond Enquirer., September 27, 1864, page 1.

Last edited:
I believe that the prisoners were sent to Richmond. Those that were wounded would have remained in the Field hospitals at the Wilderness,under the care of Federal surgeons left behind/volunteered to remain for the purpose, until they were able to travel. I don't know how long they stayed in Richmond if they were to be transferred to other places. A lot of concerned parents, wives, etc. placed ads in the Richmond newspapers requesting information about their relatives. Here's a couple of examples:
View attachment 318380
View attachment 318382
View attachment 318383
Richmond Enquirer., September 27, 1864, page 1.

Thank you for your reply and attaching the newspaper articles and links. Here is a follow-up to Col Jenkins. He was killed on the field on May 5. According to the testimony of a captured Confederate officer and two of his men, Col Jenkins was buried on the field. One of the men took his pocket knife. Thanks again, Linda

That's a good question. I too had two relatives that were sent to Andersonville, both died there, after being captured at Spotsylvania. Never gave much thought on what they went through getting there. I would have to assume they were taken by train but not sure. Will have to look into that. Hopefully someone can shed some light on it.

Thank you, Zella. I'm glad to be receiving some answers also! I'm writing an informal biography on my ancestor. I'm making a timeline and hoping to include as much information as I can on his Civil War days. Thanks again! Linda

I would suggest finding a copy of Eye of the Storm: A Civil War Odyssey by Robert Knox Sneden. Sneden was a mapmaker who was captured by John Mosby's Partisans in late 1863. In Chapter 7 he describes his rail journey from Libby Prison in Richmond to Andersonville, probably one of the best first hand accounts available.

I would suggest finding a copy of Eye of the Storm: A Civil War Odyssey by Robert Knox Sneden. Sneden was a mapmaker who was captured by John Mosby's Partisans in late 1863. In Chapter 7 he describes his rail journey from Libby Prison in Richmond to Andersonville, probably one of the best first hand accounts available.

Thank you for your recommendation. Believe it or not, I bought the book last week! I’m really glad I got it now for sure! I haven’t made it to that chapter yet. I look forward to reading about his excellent account. Thanks again. Linda

Hello everyone,
Here's an excerpt from the regimental history of the 7th Indiana Infantry that shows some POWs made it from the Wilderness battlefield to Andersonville in less than 3 weeks:
MozingoCaptured.jpg

Back