1. Welcome to the CivilWarTalk, a forum for questions and discussions about the American Civil War! Become a member today for full access to all of our resources, it's fast, simple, and absolutely free!
Dismiss Notice
Join and Become a Patron at CivilWarTalk!
Support this site with a monthly or yearly subscription! Active Patrons get to browse the site Ad free!
START BY JOINING NOW!

Rose farm field..no access?

Discussion in 'The Civil War Traveler's Companion' started by infomanpa, Feb 25, 2017.

1. Robtl

Robtl Cadet

Actually, I have a pair of Bushnell binoculars with a camera integrated, which were used to take the picture. They zoom from 100X to 400X and I suspect I was using 400X so, yes a zoom was used. BTW, they are GREAT for civil war battlefields but so sensitive that a tripod is recommended, although I recall I stabilized myself on a fence post for the shot of LRT . . .
    Thanks!

infomanpa likes this.

2. (Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)
  3. JOHN42768

JOHN42768 Sergeant Major Trivia Game Winner

Welcome, enjoy

4. Buckeye Bill

Buckeye Bill 1st Lieutenant

* The Rose Farm : Split Rock (1863).

IMG_20170227_091623.jpg

* The Rose Farm : Spilt Rock (2014).

IMG_20170227_094101.jpg

infomanpa likes this.
  5. infomanpa

infomanpa Corporal

When I was there last Sunday, I was able to enter the field AND the Timbers Farm..thanks to you.

My original question about the fencing around the lot was never answered by anyone. Can it be that no one knows why there is such a tight fence around that whole lot? There must have been some reason to hinder visitors with that kind of fencing.

Wallyfish likes this.
  6. E_just_E

E_just_E 1st Lieutenant Forum Host

Visitors of the four legged variety who might want a taste of the vegetable garden, I suspect :wink:

7. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I walked around the Rose Farm field quite a bit. I did see a lot of cow "droppings". Maybe that is why they tightened up the fencing.

The fence had the top rails wired together. This made access a bit more difficult. Someone had taken off two top railings maybe 200' north of the Split Rock. I gained access there, not in my usual spot near the wire fence.

I don't understand why they don't make that part of the Rose Field easily accessible. Those historic Gardner photos make that area a must see. Visitors should not have to crawl over fences and or dodge cows. I didn't see any cows, only there droppings. They have the one marker showing the dead bodies, but it is well north of the actual photo locations.

I am very pleased I helped.

8. infomanpa

infomanpa Corporal

I also noticed the many droppings, but of all the times that I've been there, I've never seen any animals in that field. Has anyone seen them? Which brings up the question as to who would own them and why they would be allowed on public land.

9. Wallyfish

Wallyfish Sergeant Trivia Game Winner

I have seen cows there before. There used to even a round "cage" south of the Split Rock in the open field that I assumed was used for feed.

I don't know who owns the cows. I just assumed it was the folks living in the Rose house, but that is just my guess.

I have never seen any posted "stay out" signs around that field. I do find it curious why the NPS allows any farm animals on that area of the battlefield. Because of Alexander Gardner's photos and all the wonderful work done by Frassanito, the Rose Farm is a particularly compelling place to visit. Being a National Park with millions of visitors, one would think the liability of having large animals and the public sharing the same space would be too great.

I mentioned before, the interpretive sign with the Rose Farm dead body photos is well north of the Split Rock area. I can only guess that the NPS has always wanted to keep people out of that Rose Farm Field. I would love to know the real reason for that. Is it the cows or something else. Hopefully someone here knows the background and can share it here.

infomanpa likes this.
  10. EJ Zander

EJ Zander First Sergeant

http://npshistory.com/publications/resident-communities-agriculture.pdf
    Bottom page of 19 talks about Gettysburg ag leases and grazing. Frankly, Im surprised that more grazing isnt permitted. Since it would be historically accurate and cut down on vegetation management costs. The ground on the southern end in particular is awful and not suited for mechanized management. Residents/ renters of NPS property can have animals as long as they are historically accurate or so I was told by a former resident. In regards to the Rose Farm, it had a life lease that began in 1969 and didnt become wholly the NPS's till 1979. Not sure if they (cattle) belong to the resident or is a stand alone grazing lease. The stock do go to the rear of the house. For water is my guess, as the field is dry having not natural source.

11. dlavin

dlavin First Sergeant

If you want to see cows on a battlefield, go to Antietam. I have several shots on the Poffenberger farm with cows.

(Membership has it privileges! To remove this ad: Register NOW!)