Ron Coddington of Military Images debunks the Kens Burns Civil War glass negative greenhouse myth

John Hartwell

Major
Forum Host

Interesting Research Rabbit Hole video about the story surrounding the myth that Civil War glass negatives were used in greenhouses.
Well, it's hardly "Ken Burns' ... Myth." It goes back a long ways before he showed up, and was repeated as true by others well before his CW series. Burns' is simply the version we are most familiar with.

Last edited:

chubachus

First Sergeant
Well, it's hardly "Ken Burns' ... Myth." It goes back a long ways before he showed up, and was repeated as true by others well before his CW series. Burns' is simply the version we are most familiar with.
Yeah, some of that is in the video if you didn't watch it, but I would say Ken Burns is the most noted source for perpetuating the myth today. Everytime I've read it online it comes either directly from the documentary or else I strongly suspect it does.

redbob

Major
Regtl. Staff Shiloh 2020
When I was growing up, there was a greenhouse in my neighborhood that not only used glass photographic plates in the roof/walls of the greenhouse, but used as reinforcement in the cement walls also. As the greenhouse was long abandoned, the sport was in throwing rocks and breaking the glass plates. What was on the plates is anyone's guess.

chubachus

First Sergeant
When I was growing up, there was a greenhouse in my neighborhood that not only used glass photographic plates in the roof/walls of the greenhouse, but used as reinforcement in the cement walls also. As the greenhouse was long abandoned, the sport was in throwing rocks and breaking the glass plates. What was on the plates is anyone's guess.
Oh no, I hope nothing important was on them! Whereabouts was the greenhouse?