Rogers House and Barn

dennmorr

Private
Official Vendor
Does anyone have any information on the Rogers house and Barn at the time of the Battle. (Type Size shape etc.) I know there are some pictures years later w/Sickles visiting but I am not sure if the house was changed.
Dennis Morris

There is a very good sketch done by Richard Holland in 1884 showing the farm house as a log structure . It was a log structure during the battle as well , but it was torn down and replaced with a 2 story frame house later in the 1880's. His sketch also shows several outbuildings , but this was done 21 years after the battle , so I don't know if they were present during the battle ..He was in Gettysburg as part of the 9th Massachusetts Battery Monument Committee.

There is a very good sketch done by Richard Holland in 1884 showing the farm house as a log structure . It was a log structure during the battle as well , but it was torn down and replaced with a 2 story frame house later in the 1880's. His sketch also shows several outbuildings , but this was done 21 years after the battle , so I don't know if they were present during the battle ..He was in Gettysburg as part of the 9th Massachusetts Battery Monument Committee.
Kurt,
Thanks so much! I found it.
Dennis Morris

Rogers House and Barn.jpg

A one-story log house was the home of Peter Rogers, his wife Susan and their granddaughter Josephine Miller at the time of the battle. A small peach orchard adjoined the south side of the house (Bachelder Papers, 3:1975). I seem to recall mention of a corn crib nearby from which a Federal soldier drew corn to feed his horse, but I may be mistaken.

Back