Recreated Roger Williams's Boston Baked Beans

diane

Retired User
We seem to be kind of short on Yankee dishes here, so I thought I'd put in one that was indisputably New England! :D

Found this recipe on a Colonial cooking website some time ago:

Roger Williams's Boston Baked Beans

4 c small white beans
2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
2 tsp dry mustard
1 c treacle (molasses), the darker the better
1/2 lb salt pork or fatty bacon
2 onions

Soak the beans in cold water for 12-24 hours. If you don't soak them this long, or they're a bit drier than usual, you may have to simmer them *just until* their skins start to burst. If you simmer them, save the bean water, as you can use it in the bean pot later.

Saturday morning, cut the onions in quarters and throw them into the bottom of the bean pot. Add the drained beans. Disperse the salt pork chunks throughout the beans or put them on top. Mix all of the other ingredients with 2-4 c of hot water and dump it into the beans. Add enough water to cover the beans, and put the pot in the coals at the back of the kitchen hearth (or, if you must, an oven at 250 F or so is acceptable).

Cook until dinner-time (6-8 hours), adding water as necessary and occasionally stirring up the beans. For the last hour or so you can leave the pot uncovered to get rid of some excess water.

If you leave the leftovers (in the pot) at the back of the hearth, they'll be all ready for breakfast on Sunday.

rhp6033

Sergeant Major
Thanks for the recipie, I usually cheat and start with some store-bought baked beans or pork & beans, and then add my extra fixings. I'll have to try it from scrach just to say I can do it!

The biggest difference between this recipie and my own is that I use more tomatoe paste/sauce and less mollasses, and I use a lot more cayenne pepper. My theory is that if the lips don't go numb, I need to add more pepper!

AndyHall

Colonel
Roger Williams' Baked Beans? No wonder the folks in Massachusetts made him move downwind to Rhode Island. :bounce: