Rode to Appomattox Today..

Viper21

Brigadier General
Official Vendor
Was another beautiful summer day in the Old Dominion today. Some fellas & I, rode down to Appomattox. Here's a few pics of some of the sites:

rK3FUwKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

RJNJ4DKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

First stop was the Confederate Cemetery:

WPMRaldMTLfbtJ__wYVBQ_4iTow?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium.jpg

There are 19 graves in this cemetery. Mostly unkowns....

Fj0Or2Kwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

1r3A0iV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

@lelliott19 I took this picture of the Alabama Son, for you :wink:

LCad95cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium.jpg

The view outside the Confederate Cemetery:

SONqqU5cYdfB3jRoL_VZILaXEufg?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

gKOCcpV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

E_vmgSV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

Next stop:
bSajCaAUrgnwgvQnZ_1RWb7NZPA?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium.jpg

TxBvblKwg5ydwHipy3aIZBf9dNYQ?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

lu4Y9rnHjCyIZu59oV2we_kMG9A?cn=THISLIFE&res=medium.jpg

GYGY5t4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

n9v9Og4xJ2Twu75QF_jizMkB1ZdA?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

After spending some time here, & checking out all the buildings, exhibits, etc... we rode down the road a couple miles to Lee's last HQ:

cH-cSEV7ntXQOewWgszVPDOQPWWw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

Lee's HQ was actually up in the woods, somewhat hidden from site. What a beautiful area. Was very easy on the eyes, that's for sure.

enhance.jpg

HPP7yKqCe7ffHDJpwno-pEcjtJnw?cn=THISLIFE&res=large.jpg

Not much commentary on this post, as most of the pictures speak for themselves. We didn't have a guided tour or anything today, we just visited, looked, & such, at our own pace. Was a very relaxing day, although pretty humid. Made us again, think of how tough our ancestors were, & what they had to endure back during this struggle.

There's a Confederate Veteran buried at my church down the road, who I researched quite a bit a few years ago. This fellar, like some of the other unlucky young men, was wounded a day or two before the surrender. He ended up losing a leg, & had to walk back to Rockbridge County on crutches. While Appomattox is just under 2 hours from my house, you're talking several (hard) days by foot. Couldn't imagine doing that on one leg. You have to go over a couple mountains to drop down in to Appomattox from my neck of the woods.

Thought some of y'all might enjoy the pics.

Last edited:
My spouse and I visited Appomattox from Lynchburg on a cold Friday morning in January 2015. All we had time for was the little Visitor Center/Museum there and the McClean House. I wanted to go to the MOC too. I'd like to visit Lynchburg and Appomattox again. It was a short trip. We flew in on Thursday afternoon and flew out on Sunday afternoon and it wasn't just a CW sightseeing trip. Friday evening-Sunday morning were reserved for another activity. I did get to go to the Museum of Lynchburg too and see the monument across the street.

My spouse and I visited Appomattox from Lynchburg on a cold Friday morning in January 2015. All we had time for was the little Visitor Center/Museum there and the McClean House. I wanted to go to the MOC too. I'd like to visit Lynchburg and Appomattox again. It was a short trip. We flew in on Thursday afternoon and flew out on Sunday afternoon and it wasn't just a CW sightseeing trip. I did get to go to the Museum of Lynchburg too and see the monument across the street.
Unfortunately, you missed your chance. Just like the one in Richmond, it is no longer, MOC. It is now ACWM, & has been "contextualized" & changed. The same folks run both.

I'm soooo glad I was able to experience them before that happened. Wish you could've too.

No I didn't. That was 2015. It was still the MOC then and we were there over an hour.
Whew. I misread your post. Glad you were able to see it. Lots of the flags, & other artifacts have been sent to storage. They have all new exhibits now. You wouldn't recognize the museums of past......

When I read about the Alabama soldier, it reminded me of the sad fact that 1,448 American military personnel died on what was to be their last day of combat in Viet Nam. So close, so very close.

Last edited:
some fellas & I, rode down to Appomattox.

So you would not "rather die a thousand deaths"?

Just kidding, the photos are great and bring back great memories of our visit there.
I was completely ignorant back then. One of the reenactors presenting scences from living history started his performance by asking who was in favor of the Union and who was in favor of the Confederacy. As it happened all hands (including mine :sheep:) were raised for the Union and I remember that I (with only my school history in mind) whispered to my significant other "would it be possible to be pro Confederate?). Then the reenactor, who portrayed Doc Christian said "Really?" and started his performance ... and it really gave me a new understanding of what the Civil War had meant to the people back then.
That was in 2013. I bet that performance is done differently now, and I wonder if it is pure coincidence that the photo of that special reenactor on their webside looks a bit outdated ...

So you would not "rather die a thousand deaths"?

Just kidding, the photos are great and bring back great memories of our visit there.
I was completely ignorant back then. One of the reenactors presenting scences from living history started his performance by asking who was in favor of the Union and who was in favor of the Confederacy. As it happened all hands (including mine :sheep:) were raised for the Union and I remember that I (with only my school history in mind) whispered to my significant other "would it be possible to be pro Confederate?). Then the reenactor, who portrayed Doc Christian said "Really?" and started his performance ... and it really gave me a new understanding of what the Civil War had meant to the people back then.
That was in 2013. I bet that performance is done differently now, and I wonder if it is pure coincidence that the photo of that special reenactor on their webside looks a bit outdated ...
How are you weathering the storms there in Europe my friend?

Was another beautiful summer day in the Old Dominion today. Some fellas & I, rode down to Appomattox. Here's a few pics of some of the sites:

View attachment 409269

View attachment 409270

First stop was the Confederate Cemetery:

View attachment 409271

There are 19 graves in this cemetery. Mostly unkowns....

View attachment 409272

View attachment 409273

@lelliott19 I took this picture of the Alabama Son, for you :wink:

View attachment 409274

The view outside the Confederate Cemetery:

View attachment 409275

View attachment 409276

View attachment 409277

Next stop:
View attachment 409278

View attachment 409279

View attachment 409280

View attachment 409281

View attachment 409282

After spending some time here, & checking out all the buildings, exhibits, etc... we rode down the road a couple miles to Lee's last HQ:

View attachment 409283

Lee's HQ was actually up in the woods, somewhat hidden from site. What a beautiful area. Was very easy on the eyes, that's for sure.

View attachment 409284

Not much commentary on this post, as most of the pictures speak for themselves. We didn't have a guided tour or anything today, we just visited, looked, & such, at our own pace. Was a very relaxing day, although pretty humid. Made us again, think of how tough our ancestors were, & what they had to endure back during this struggle.

There's a Confederate Veteran buried at my church down the road, who I researched quite a bit a few years ago. This fellar, like some of the other unlucky young men, was wounded a day or two before the surrender. He ended up losing a leg, & had to walk back to Rockbridge County on crutches. While Appomattox is just under 2 hours from my house, you're talking several (hard) days by foot. Couldn't imagine doing that on one leg. You have to go over a couple mountains to drop down in to Appomattox from my neck of the woods.

Thought some of y'all might enjoy the pics.
Wonderful photos, thanks so much for sharing!

Back