Education:

Attended University of Virginia​

Civil War Career:

1862: Private Rockbridge Artillery​
1862: His father didn’t recognize him at the Battle of Antietam​
Captain and Aide to his brother George Washington Custis Lee​

Wartime Anecdote:
Lee 2.jpg
"He frightened the family near the end of the war by disappearing for nearly a month after his horse was wounded on the retreat from Petersburg. By the time he had found another, the Federals were between him and his father's army. He turned south and was in the room in Greensboro, North Carolina, when Jefferson Davis got confirmation that the elder Lee had surrendered at Appomattox.”​

Occupation after War:

Owner and Farmer of Romancoke Plantation in King William County​
1904: Author of Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee

Died: October 19, 1914

Place of Death: Upperville, Virginia

Cause of Death: Apoplexy and Paralysis

Age at time of Death:
70 years old

Burial Place: Lee Chapel Museum, Lexington, Virginia

Brothers.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Learned something new as I didn't yet know about Robert getting "lost" at Petersburg. Thank you for sharing!

When Lee came home from the Mexican war, after greeting everyone, he asked "Where is my little boy?" Then he picked up and kissed Robert's playmate :giggle: - much to the amusement of Robert's siblings and Robert's distress.

Lee's nickname for Robert was "Robertus Sickus" as Robert suffered from recurrent malaria.

Robert with his mother 1845
Mary_Custis_Lee_and_Robert_E._Lee_Jr_1845.jpg

The second photo from the bottom, his portraiture photo of him alone, shows an air of self-confidence. I get the feeling from all the pictures shown that he represented himself, and was confident enough to 'wear his own shoes'. This is the first glimpse of him and my initial impression. Thanks.
Lubliner.

When Robert E. Lee Jr., was born his father noted - - -

“He has a fine long nose like his father, but no whiskers.” (page 135*)

By Christmas, 1845, Mary Lee would write this on her youngest son - - -

“He is the sweetest little fellow you ever saw & the most incessant chatterbox.” (page 144*)

When the Civil War began in the Spring of 1861, Rob was a just a few months shy of his 18th birthday. Older brothers Custis and Rooney had both received a commission in the Virginia army, however both parents thought him too young. In a letter REL wrote to his wife in April of ’61, he explained some of his thoughts on his youngest son serving in the war - - -

“I wrote to Robert [his son] that I could not consent to take boys from their schools and young men from their colleges and put them in the rank at the beginning of a war, when they are not wanted and when there are men enough for that purpose. The war may last ten years. Where are our ranks to be filled from then?” (**)

Rob had enrolled in the University of Virginia. By March 28th, 1862 - there would be 2 Robert E. Lee’s in the Confederate Army. Rob served as a private with the Rockbridge Artillery, under the command of General Nelson Pendleton and his legendary cannons - Matthew, Mark Luke & John.

Mary had once written to her cousin of a mother’s love when her sons enter into an armed conflict - - -

“The only hope we can entertain for our sons, exposed as they are to dangers & snares both for body and soul in every situation, is to trust them to the Almighty God & pray that His Spirit may fill their hearts & purify them so that they may preserved from the Evil One.” (page 234*)

When REL, Jr, finally saw his father in Richmond after his surrender he made the following observations - - -

“As well as I can recall my father at this time, he appeared to be very, well physically, though he looked older, grayer, more quiet and reserved. He seemed very tired, and was always glad to talk of any other subject than that of the war or anything pertaining thereto. We all tried to cheer and help him.” (**)

* ”The Lady of Arlington” by John Perry
** ”Recollections and Letters of General Robert E. Lee by Captain Robert E. Lee, Jr.

Last edited:
When General Lee finally recognized his voice at Antietam he told him "Yes ,my son, You must do what you can to drive those people back".It was soon after the Maryland Campaign that Lee jr was promoted to Lt. and assigned as an aide to his brother Gen. William Henry Fitzhugh Lee.

Back