Robert E Lee's revolver

I have read somewhere that his Colt Navy was still loaded after the war
and someone (maybe his son) took it out and fired it. Will Bill Hickock freshly loaded his
Navy daily. But Gen. Lee's was till good after a long space.

http://moconfederacy.pastperfectonline.com/webobject/799B0A40-2558-4FAB-885F-320449499685

Description Colt Model 1851 Navy Revolver, 3rd Model - .36 cal., 6-shot round cylinder, 7 1/2" octagonal barrel, attached loading lever. Brass post front sight, rear sight through v-notch in hammer. Casehardened frame, hammer, and loading lever; remainder blued. One piece walnut grip, Silver-plated brass small trigger guard, strap, and backstrap. Stamped - Barrel at top: - ADDRESS SAM underlined L COLT NEW-YORK CITY - Frame, left side: COLTS / PATENT / U.S; serial # 37698

Material Steel/Brass/Wood

Dimensions L-13 inches

Owned Robert E. Lee

Made Colt's Patent Firearms Mfg. Co.

Provenance Used by General Robert E. Lee during the Civil War. It was engraved by the W.L. Armsby Company, New York. According to Lee's son, his father carried this pistol in the saddle
holster rather than in his belt holster while on the field of battle.

09851300062-2.jpg

The American cw museum in Richmond, the former museum of the confederacy.
Thanks. That's good to know. But, DANG, I was just there in early June and I missed it. I saw his hat, but missed the revolver. ...or it's more likely that I saw it but missed the fact that it was his. DANG!

I know he also had another, somewhere, that was gifted to him by his students at West Point, but that was a pocket model I believe, in some weirdly small caliber, .27 I think? I saw a picture of it in a book once.... I believe one about him taking command of the ANV.

I read somewhere maybe it may have been a book called Lee After the War it described Lees bed room with his revolver in the pommel holster hanging on the corner of the headboard of his bed

The reason im asking about Robert E. Lee being a righty or lefty is because of his holster.

That would be a left handers holster for those days unless he was a righty and he rigged it the way a right hander draws today.
Would it being a saddle holster make a difference? Sorry if that's a stupid question. I've never drawn from a saddle, so I'm having a hard time envisioning the mechanics of that action. (I'm a lefty who was forced to be right-handed as a child. I shoot left-handed but that was after years of being forced to do it right-handed and mayhem ensuing. LOL)

Edited to add: I just realized that isn't the saddle holster. Sorry!

Last edited:
Reactions: WJC
The reason im asking about Robert E. Lee being a righty or lefty is because of his holster.

That would be a left handers holster for those days unless he was a righty and he rigged it the way a right hander draws today.

Yes, I suspect it was for right handed cross draw.

This holster is on a matching belt, so i just dont know.

Yes, the belt is matching but referring to the above pictured holster, it is/was designed for cross draw. So the question is still...was Lee left or right handed ? And whichever he was, how did he wear the belt holster ?

Last edited:
Back