Lee Robert E. Lee's Brothers and Sisters

donna

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Forum Host
Someone had posted about one of Lee's sister being pro Union. I decided to check on who all his brothers and sisters were. I know many of you already know but I learned a lot for myself.

Lee's father, Henry Lee III was married two times. His first wife was Matilda Ludwell Lee (1764-1790). They were married between April 8 and 13, 1782 at Stratford Hall. They had three children who would be half siblings to Robert E. lee. They were:

Philip Lee (1784-1794)
Lucy Grymes Lee (1786-1860)
Henry Lee IV (1787- 1837)

His second wife and Robert E. Lee's mother was Anne Hill Carter (1773-1829). They were married on June 18, 1793 at Shirley Planation. They had six children. They were:

Algernon Sidney Lee ((1795-1796)).
Charles Carter Lee (1798-1871)
Anne Kinloch Lee ( 1800-1864)
Sidney Smith Lee (1802-1869)
Robert Edward Lee (1807-1870)
Mildred Lee (1811-1856)

Last edited:
Anne Kinloch Lee, sister of Robert E. Lee, was born June 19, 1800 at Stratford Hall. She married William Louis Marshall who became a Judge. They had three children: Ann C. Marshall, Henry Lee Marshall and Louis Henry Marshall. They lived in Baltimore, Maryland. She died in Baltimore on Feb. 20, 1864. Anne and her husband were pro-Union.

Back when Lee was doing engineering work all over the country, he and his family stayed in Baltimore for a project. His sister made sure they were socially connected and it was a very happy time for both. This is interesting - several times Lee had his 'Baltimore relatives' look after some things while he was gone - Baltimore was where Mary Lee had to go (as if she could!) to pay the taxes on Arlington. Wonder if these were the 'relatives' who offered to help? Anyway, Baltimore sure seems an odd place for Unionists to stay! Lee wrote his sister a letter about his decision to go with the South - think that's where his famous statement about not being able to lift his sword against his family comes from - but she didn't answer and didn't answer his letters for the rest of her life. They never spoke.

Anne Lee Marshall's son and Robert E. Lee's nephew, Louis Henry Lee served in U.S. Army. He was on the staff of U.S. General John Pope. He later would fight in the Indian Wars. He died in California in 1891 and is buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles.

Was his surname LEE? Why wasn't it MARSHALL?

Any relation to the General George C. Marshall of WW2 period?
George Catlett Marshall, Jr., was born into a middle-class family in Uniontown, Pennsylvania, the son of George Catlett Marshall, Sr. and Laura Emily (née Bradford) Marshall. Marshall was a scion of an old Virginia family, as well as a distant relative of former Chief Justice John Marshall. Marshall graduated from the Virginia Military Institute (VMI).

They are related but not directly - cousins! John Marshall is a direct ancestor but Gen Marshall is a cousin. Louis Marshall's descent line went on the female side.

Lee's decision to fight in the war was going to cause a divide in the family no matter which side he chose. I would guess he would even have been in bad light with some if he chose not to fight at all. A no win situation for family relations, but Im sure this problem was faced by almost every family in those times.

This thread is great. I don't believe any of the R.E.Lee siblings have much on them except Syd
Someone had posted about one of Lee's sister being pro Union. I decided to check on who all his brothers and sisters were. I know many of you already know but I learned a lot for myself.

Lee's father, Henry Lee III was married two times. His first wife was Matilda Ludwell Lee (1764-1790). They were married between April 8 and 13, 1782 at Stratford Hall. They had three children who would be half siblings to Robert E. lee. They were:

Philip Lee (1784-1794)

His second wife and Robert E. Lee's mother was Anne Hill Carter (1773-1829). They were married on June 18, 1793 at Shirley Planation. They had six children. They were:

Algernon Sidney Lee (1798-1871).
Charles Carter Lee (1798-1864)
Mildred Lee (1811-1856)

I was checking on this and Algernon Sidney Lee's dates are 1795 - 1796 - the other dates appear to be correct....

Philip Lee (1784-1794)

Algernon Sidney Lee (1798-1871).
Charles Carter Lee (1798-1864)
Mildred Lee (1811-1856)

Another correction. Charles Carter Lee's dates elsewhere are given as 1798 - 1871.
He was a lawyer, seems to have sat out the war at home. One ref says he attended Harvard University.....another Lee we could follow up on...

Thanks again for catching the date mistakes. I changed them. I think it was too early this morning and dates and names were running together.

It is still interesting about the different brothers and sister. Be nice to know more about them.

Anne Lee's husband, William Louis Marshall was born in Woodford County, Ky. He was son of Dr. Louis Marshall and Agatha Smith.

Nice thread. Since learning more about Mary Todd Lincoln's relatives, I've become interested in relatives of other prominent figures. This extends to the Revolutionary War too.

Another correction. Charles Carter Lee's dates elsewhere are given as 1798 - 1871.
He was a lawyer, seems to have sat out the war at home. One ref says he attended Harvard University.....another Lee we could follow up on...

Maybe that's why one of Robert E. Lee's son (Roony?) went to Harvard, where he was on the crew team. According to legend, he had all his boatmates where red scarves so people on the shore could see it was the Harvard boat (it's often hard to tell at a distance). It's said that is where the Harvard crimson colors came from.

Here is the grave of Catharine Mildred Lee Childe and her husband... Edward Vernon Childe, a Parisian-based expatriate, and journalist originally from Boston.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/163781340/catharine-mildred-childe

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/163781235/edward-vernon-childe

Son... Edward Lee Childe his grave and he wrote a book about Robert E Lee... in French... Edward Lee Childe wrote The Life and Campaigns of General Lee.

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188439976/edward-lee-childe

https://www.findagrave.com/memorial/188440540/blanche-eugénie_cécile_sophie-triquet_de_triquet

He married the daughter of this man...

http://www.thearttribune.com/Henry-de-Triqueti-1803-1874.html

Last edited:
Back