Lee Robert E. Lee's Brothers and Sisters

Great thread. You see this with just about all the top figures in the war. I believe Julia Dent Grant had relatives in the Confederate army. Her father had southern sympathies. George Meade had a brother in law and nephew in the Confederate army as well.

Anne Lee Marshall's son and Robert E. Lee's nephew, Louis Henry Marshall served in U.S. Army. He was on the staff of U.S. General John Pope. He later would fight in the Indian Wars. He died in California in 1891 and is buried at Evergreen Cemetery, Los Angeles.

Samuel Phillips Lee was a Rear Admiral for the US Navy during the Civil war and said "When I find the word Virginia in my commission I will join the Confederacy". His house after the war is called the Blair-Lee House and now used as the guest house for the President, housing all sorts of world leaders, president-elects before their inauguration, and former presidents families during their funerals.

Blair was his wife's last name, and her father knew Lincoln well as one of his advisors. The famous Lee quote "Mr. Blair, I look upon secession as anarchy. If I owned the four millions of slaves at the South, I would sacrifice them all to the Union; but how can I draw my sword upon Virginia, my native State?" was to her father when Lincoln sent him to ask Lee to command a portion of his army.

Back