Robert E. Lee's Birthday... Jan. 19

gary

Captain
My attempt to write an essay of less than 200 words.

Robert E. Lee was loyal to the Union, however, his loyalty to his state was stronger and it was with difficulty that he resigned his commission and turned down an offer to command the Union Army. After the war, he told his soldiers to become good citizens and to serve the Union as well as they had the Confederacy. He is not the flawless demi-god that the Southern Lost Cause proponents made him out to be. He owned slaves (as did most plantation owners) and signed their papers of manumission only after his plantation in Arlington was captured. However, I can find no truer picture of a Christian Gentleman than Robert E. Lee. When one Confederate officer saw the Union Army parading across the river, he said he wish that they could throw a hundred shells among them and kill them all. Lee responded, "Oh no, do not wish that. Wish that they were all at their homes with their friends and that they would stay there."

I believe the General would accept the 'hoopla', with modesity and dignity, just as he accepted all accolades before.

Respectfully,
SgtCSA

samgrant said:
What do you think Mars Robert would think of the hoopla?

If he were alive the ladies all across Virginia would be vying to bring him the best lemon cake. I have a reprint of a cookbook titled, Housekeeping in Old Virginia, originally published in 1868 (I believe, have to look it up), and there is a lemon cake recipe with a few words about it being the General's favorite.

I thought that was interesting, particularly since General Jackson, also, had a fondness for lemons.

Regards,
Rose

Rose: I'm sure Lee loved lemon cake as have most Americans, before and since. Might be fun to try that recipe. Jackson's fondness for lemons bordered on the neurotic, certainly Lee's fondness was was no more than gustatory appreciation. Ole :smile:

gary said:
Wild Rose, can you post the recipe for us?

Hi Gary, I'm sorry I overlooked your message until today. I've had that book packed away ever since I moved, but it shouldn't be too hard to find. I'll post it soon.

I never tried the recipe. It, like all cakes from that time, doesn't call for baking powder and as I recall it calls for an unusually large amount of eggs. The measurements aren't standard as they are today, either. A "tea cup" was litterally a cup as you would drink tea from and probably averaged 8 oz. dry measure, but depending on the cup could be more or less. Of course all recipes were written to accomodate cooking on a wood stove.

It's a fascinating book. Besides recipes it has directions for making medicines and house cleaning concoctions.

Regards,
Rose

I bet a slice of lemon cake would be good most any time, not just on Gen. Lee's birthday. I also wonder if he shared any of it with his pet chicken! :smile:

I wonder if any other place, state or otherwise, is planning on any festivities to honor his birthday.

Down here we are more likely to celebrate something for MLK, a noted womanizer and plagarizer ...hmm, before anyone wants to call me out for pistols at dawn, I wonder why his records have been sealed until all of us who actually care will be dead and gone? What could possibly be in them that would do harm to his image? Why can't we have a little truth rolling down like Mighty waters (oops! Forgot! That was from the Book of Amos and not MLK.)

Back