Robert E. Lee's 200th Birthday

Southern Son

Cadet
19. Januar 1807 in Stratford, Virginia; † 12. Oktober 1870 in Lexington, Virginia
The late Franklin D. Roosevelt, America's 32nd president, spoke at the unveiling of the Robert E. Lee Memorial Statue in Dallas, Texas, on June 12, 1936 and said:"I am happy to take part in this unveiling of the statue of Lee. All over the United States we recognize him, as a great general. But also, all over the United States, I believe we recognize him as something much more than that. We recognize Robert E. Lee as one of our greatest American Christians and one of our greatest American gentlemen."
On August 5, 1975, 110 years after Gen. Lee's application, President Gerald Ford signed Joint Resolution 23, restoring the long overdue full rights of citizenship to Gen. Robert E. Lee.
At that signing, President Ford said:
"General Lee's character has been an example to succeeding generations, making the restoration of his citizenship an event in which every American can take pride"
Sir Winston Churchill once remarked, "Lee was the noblest American who had ever lived and one of the greatest commanders known to the annals of war."
Expired Image Removed

January is a big month for Confederate birthdays

James Longstreet - 8th January 1821
Robert E Lee - 19th January 1807
Thomas J Jackson - 21st January 1824
George Pickett - 28th January 1825

Happy Birthday, General Lee! I am a day early, but would like to avoid the 'rush'.

The photo that Southern Son has chosen to show is by far my favorite photo of the General. I have to let you all know that I once climbed halfway up a cyclone fence to see the backside of the Franklin Street house in Richmond where that photo was taken. It was worth the climb!

The house somewhat stands alone in that it is the only residential house on that block, if I remember correctly, still standing. There are commercial buildings and a parking lot alongside of it. I spent a very hot Sunday morning hiking to the house from the other end of town, and the closer I got to the address, the more discouraged my husband became that we'd find the place still there. But we trudged on, and lo and behold, it was still there. I chalk that up to the Daughters of the Confederacy, as I think they were quite instrumental in keeping the house standing. If anyone else here has further information on the Franklin Street house, I'd love for you to share it.

Back