Robert E. Lee: The Ethnic Cleanser?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
Interesting blog post today from the UVA Press, Mr. Domby is an associate of Kevin Levin so in my mind he's just another edited huckster, and his insistence of capitalizing "black" while leaving "white" lowercase reinforces my disregard of the guy's opinion, probably taking many Lee associated quotes out of context. But tell me what you all think.

https://www.upress.virginia.edu/2021/09/10/virgil-quick-come-see-there-goes-robert-e-lee

Last edited by a moderator:

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
Interesting blog post today from the UVA Press, Mr. Domby is an associate of Kevin Levin so in my mind he's just another woke huckster, and his insistence of capitalizing "black" while leaving "white" lowercase reinforces my disregard of the guy's opinion, probably taking many Lee associated quotes out of context. But tell me what you all think.

https://www.upress.virginia.edu/2021/09/10/virgil-quick-come-see-there-goes-robert-e-lee
I was brought up in the south near Richmond, in the 1960's. After reading the commentary, and also being witness to his references that made the news, I can say that I am now a minority class with no opinion that will not be used against me.
Lubliner.

Desert Kid

2nd Lieutenant
I was brought up in the south near Richmond, in the 1960's. After reading the commentary, and also being witness to his references that made the news, I can say that I am now a minority class with no opinion that will not be used against me.
Lubliner.
It really is distressing seeing how fast things have declined and deteriorated.

Scott1967

First Sergeant
Interesting blog post today from the UVA Press, Mr. Domby is an associate of Kevin Levin so in my mind he's just another woke huckster, and his insistence of capitalizing "black" while leaving "white" lowercase reinforces my disregard of the guy's opinion, probably taking many Lee associated quotes out of context. But tell me what you all think.

https://www.upress.virginia.edu/2021/09/10/virgil-quick-come-see-there-goes-robert-e-le

I have personally never bought into the Lee myth and the baggage that comes with it Lee tends to contradict himself on many occasions on one hand he is seen as gentle benefactor who deplores slavery and then on the other he refuses to free the slaves he inherits until his debts are cleared and he is forced to free them under Virginia Law.

It is known Lee was discussing replacing Blacks with cheap Irish labour or looking at the possibility it is also known he was dead set not giving freed blacks the vote believing them to be ill educated.

Don't get me wrong many in the North felt the same way Lee was not on his own here and if your going to write an article then you should have the common decency to tell the truth.

America at the time of the war was an extremely racist country so was Great Britain and France to merely point out that Lee was racist would be like labelling nearly everyone on the planet racist the author is very naive

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
It really is distressing seeing how fast things have declined and deteriorated.
You know when I think back on the years of Nixon's second term of Presidency, I suddenly remember just how 'liberal-minded' the institutions of higher learning really were. Current history is definitely moving at a fast clip, and unfortunately it is hardly possible to 'stop and smell the roses' beside the path of travel. All I can say is that being a product of my own upbringing, and a spin-off of my own ancestry, I am incapable of going into a war of words without harming the emotions, and would rather not.
Lubliner.

Lubliner

Captain
Forum Host
I have personally never bought into the Lee myth and the baggage that comes with it Lee tends to contradict himself on many occasions on one hand he is seen as gentle benefactor who deplores slavery and then on the other he refuses to free the slaves he inherits until his debts are cleared and he is forced to free them under Virginia Law.

It is known Lee was discussing replacing Blacks with cheap Irish labour or looking at the possibility it is also known he was dead set not giving freed blacks the vote believing them to be ill educated.

Don't get me wrong many in the North felt the same way Lee was not on his own here and if your going to write an article then you should have the common decency to tell the truth.

America at the time of the war was an extremely racist country so was Great Britain and France to merely point out that Lee was racist would be like labelling nearly everyone on the planet racist the author is very naive
I think the author was concerned with how 'naive' we all were as children and willing to swallow down whole tracts of historical jargon without the vestige of Divine Truth imbedded within. Maybe you came up later in a more balanced society with the prominent men of that era being vilified as well as praised, IDK. It is rather hypocritical of the author I admit, as you say to point out the flaws of character that are common to us all. These men of the Civil War era were clever men, and were dealing with problems that permeated their everyday lives, and certainly would discuss all options that could be possibly feasible in solving economic calculations. Depending on what incidents weighed the most heavily at the time on their mind compelled them to speak as they did. And to believe that someone out there in this never-ending world will prove the 'perfect example' is a utopian fallacy.
Lubliner.

Status
Not open for further replies.