Robert E. Lee, speaks at monument dedication in 1914

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Sadly he would live only a few months after this. Enlisted as a private and worked up through the ranks. When he could have gotten help from his dad. That takes a lot of class.
Robert E. Lee, Jr. worked his way up to captain during the war, the colonelcy appears to be a post-war honorary award by the state of Virginia or maybe the UCV or UDC.

TomV71

Corporal
Silver Patron
Robert E. Lee, Jr. worked his way up to captain during the war, the colonelcy appears to be a post-war honorary award by the state of Virginia or maybe the UCV or UDC.
Yes, he was only a Captain during the war. He was first a private in the Rockbridge Artillery, then right up to Captain on the staff of his brother G.W.C. Lee after Antietam. I assume the latter had something to do with that promotion.

Stone in the wall

First Sergeant
Blue Ridge Mountains, Jefferson County WV
Thanks, I did know he was only a captain in the Rockbridge and after the war there seemed to be more "Colonels" than had ever been in the army. But I did not know UDC and UVC had honorary awards.