Robert E. Lee photographs (Plural)

Zuzah

Sergeant Major
This first one was taken in 1863 by Julian Vannerson (Watch how his hair changes rapidly in 2 years)
Expired Image Removed

Robert E. Lee, a week after surrendering to Ulysses S. Grant, standing outside Arlington
Expired Image Removed

Robert E. Lee seated outside his Arlington home, same date
Expired Image Removed

From Left to Right; Lee's Son, Major General George Washington Custis Lee, General Robert E. Lee, and Lee's aide-de-camp, Colonel Walter Taylor, same date.
Expired Image Removed

Wonderful! Those pictures below the portrait, though, were taken at Lee's rented home in Richmond. Arlington was long gone by then!
You are correct,diane,and if you know the right people you can go back to that very porch.It has changed very little in the last 150 years.
great pics,zuze,as usual.

You are correct,diane,and if you know the right people you can go back to that very porch.It has changed very little in the last 150 years.
great pics,zuze,as usual.
My dad and I were able to sneek back there in August when we stopped in Richmond on our way to Fredericksburg. We were able to snap some great pictures before some woman from the business behind the house came out and told us that it was a private area. Although in my defence the gate that leads to the back of the house was standing right open. haha! :wink:

They were cream, weren't they? That's what I've been able to read my way to, so far.

Thank you all aswell, greatly appreciated.
In the Fremantle Diary, he compliments Gen. Cleburne on how white his facings are. Cleburne's experience in an Irish or English regiment had taught him some tricks on how to keep them spotless white. Now that's for generals in the CS army. Not sure about lesser staff ranks.

In the Fremantle Diary, he compliments Gen. Cleburne on how white his facings are. Cleburne's experience in an Irish or English regiment had taught him some tricks on how to keep them spotless white. Now that's for generals in the CS army. Not sure about lesser staff ranks.
What an interesting little tid-bit.thankyou.I keep all these in my noggin for future possible pictures,and love hearing them.

Back