Restricted Robert E Lee monument is staying put...

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
I don't believe so. It’s also only a matter of time before there is some event or yet another next complicated arrest situation and nation is set alight again with pundits on TV eager once again to fan the flames.

The question right now is more or less what of the what what of the history of the Civil War and American history can be preserved at through the era where identity politics have become all important yet again?
Monuments are honorific remembrance, they are not history. If the people of Charlottesville no longer want to honor certain historical figures in the public square with oversized participation trophies, they shouldn’t be forced to.

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
The local people of Charlottesville, through their elected government acted in spite of roadblocks from Richmond and demonstrations (some that turned violent) by white supremacists groups.

Why shouldn’t the people and government of Charlottesville decide?
That's simply not true. The polling on the subject was against removing these monuments. It was not put to a vote, or ballot referendum. The radical mayor & city council of Charlottesville acted in spite of, their own constituents.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
That's simply not true. The polling on the subject was against removing these monuments. It was not put to a vote, or ballot referendum. The radical mayor & city council of Charlottesville acted in spite of, their own constituents.
It’s as true as it gets and thems the breaks. The mayor and the council were elected by their constituents to carry out policy, that’s how it works. Since the original push to remove the monuments and the “unite the right rally”, elections have been held in Charlottesville and Virginia. The people of Charlottesville voted for representatives and a mayor who they knew full well would want to remove these monuments. We go by votes and not polls in this country. That some poll which may or may not have only polled citizens of Charlottesville and may or may not have been scientific pointed to keeping the monuments is immaterial (perhaps you could cite this poll?). The fact of the matter is that the people of Charlottesville voted for those they knew full well would push to remove the monuments, whether you believe them “radical” or not. The people of Charlottesville have spoken.

Last edited:

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Here’s a somewhat recent poll from the AP. It states that 46% of Virginians are for removal of confederate monuments and 42% are against removal. It seems your claim that the “polling on this subject was against removal” is quite UNTRUE when it comes to Virginia, at least in this case:

AP Virginia Monument Poll

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
It’s as true as it gets and thems the breaks. The mayor and the council were elected by their constituents to carry out policy, that’s how it works. Since the original push to remove the monuments and the “unite the right rally” elections have been held in Charlottesville and Virginia. The people of Charlottesville voted for representatives and a mayor who they knew full well would want to remove these monuments. We go by votes and not polls in this country. That some poll which may or may not have only polled citizens of Charlottesville and may or may not have been scientific pointed to keeping the monuments is immaterial (perhaps you could cite this poll?). The fact of the matter is that the people of Charlottesville voted for those they knew full well would push to remove the monuments, whether you believe them “radical” or not. The people of Charlottesville have spoken.
Yeah, I'm sure you know more about where I live, & these subjects than I do. I've been heavily involved in lots of this stuff, & am a lot closer to it in multiple ways. Ever been to Charlottesville yourself..? I literally have a family member that lives a couple blocks from the park where Lee's statue was.

It isn't just my opinion on the radicals running Charlottesville. I would suggest anyone research those involved & make up your own minds. The mayor isn't shy about what she thinks, & doesn't hold back.

GwilymT

Sergeant Major
Yeah, I'm sure you know more about where I live, & these subjects than I do. I've been heavily involved in lots of this stuff, & am a lot closer to it in multiple ways. Ever been to Charlottesville yourself..? I literally have a family member that lives a couple blocks from the park where Lee's statue was.

It isn't just my opinion on the radicals running Charlottesville. I would suggest anyone research those involved & make up your own minds. The mayor isn't shy about what she thinks, & doesn't hold back.
I’ve been to Charlottesville many times over the years. My sister is a UVA grad and lived there for some time. Any local knowledge you or I have or don’t have is anecdotal and doesn’t change the fact that Charlottesville voted for officials that they well knew would pursue removal. Good for the mayor, I’m glad she isn’t shy and doesn’t hold back- she, unlike you or I, was born in, raised, and currently resides in Charlottesville.

Last edited:

Viper21

Brigadier General
Silver Patron
I’ve been to Charlottesville many times over the years. My sister is a UVA grad and lived there for some time. Any local knowledge you or I have or don’t have is anecdotal and doesn’t change the fact that Charlottesville voted for officials that they well knew would pursue removal. Good for the mayor, I’m glad she isn’t shy and doesn’t hold back- she, unlike you or I, was born in, raised, and currently resides in Charlottesville.
I wonder who would be more informed about the inner workings of Pittsburgh, or Philadelphia out of the two of us..? Not everything that is relevant makes it to google. You can discount personal relationships, first hand knowledge, etc.. & the information that comes from those sources if you choose. Most people don't.

19thGeorgia

1st Lieutenant
If what I saw on Facebook is correct, they have demolished the bases that the statues stood on and turned them into rubble. No attempt was made to preserve what is as much a part of the monument as the metal statue on the top. I cannot express how angry that makes me.
The new state 'law' says they can remove them - but it doesn't authorize their destruction...

ConfedMonumentControversy.jpg

Last edited:
The local people of Charlottesville, through their elected government acted in spite of roadblocks from Richmond and demonstrations (some that turned violent) by white supremacists groups.

Why shouldn’t the people and government of Charlottesville decide?
Or similarly one could ask why shouldn't the people and government of Virginia decide?

Find it odd to call state legislation a "roadblock" as state is generally supreme over county or municipality, just as US is over state.

You seem an advocate for state rights if you prefer smaller jurisdictions deciding over the larger parent ones. As that is the reasoning for state rights as well, it can better reflect a states locale and constituency, then a national government.

Last edited:

Rebforever

Lt. Colonel
If what I saw on Facebook is correct, they have demolished the bases that the statues stood on and turned them into rubble. No attempt was made to preserve what is as much a part of the monument as the metal statue on the top. I cannot express how angry that makes me.
Hard to tell what one will get out of the Charlottesville bunch before it is all over. Jefferson name more than likely. School names. Road names. 😡