Restricted Robert E Lee monument is staying put...

Fewer ads. Lots of American Civil War content!
JOIN NOW: REGISTER HERE!

Viper21

Sergeant Major
Victory in Charlottesville....! For now anyways :D

A judge ruled last week that Lee's statue is protected by state law as a war monument. For those unaware, the Charlottesville City Council tried to illegally remove the monument leading to lots of nonsense. Without the City Council's illegal actions attempting to remove this monument, the rally that caused all the uproar wouldn't have happened at all.

While punitive damages aren't to be awarded, the Judge in the case, has said he's going to award attorney's fees to Plaintiffs (Virginia SCV & 11 citizens).

I won't be surprised if the City appeals to a higher court.

archieclement

Captain
Forum Host
Victory in Charlottesville....! For now anyways :D

A judge ruled last week that Lee's statue is protected by state law as a war monument. For those unaware, the Charlottesville City Council tried to illegally remove the monument leading to lots of nonsense. Without the City Council's illegal actions attempting to remove this monument, the rally that caused all the uproar wouldn't have happened at all.

While punitive damages aren't to be awarded, the Judge in the case, has said he's going to award attorney's fees to Plaintiffs (Virginia SCV & 11 citizens).

I won't be surprised if the City appeals to a higher court.

All the more reason these issues should be looked at statewide levels, apparently the communities arent even aware of state law.....

thomas aagaard

1st Lieutenant
on my scale of "should it be removed or protected" I would put it somewhere in the middle.

It is not a war memorial put up by the veterans themselves or even their families. And it is not a monument of a ordinary soldier to honor a local unit.

But at the same time From what I could find about the man who paid for it, he don't seem to have had any clear connections to groups like the KKK or similar. And he spend a good deal of money on Philanthropy.
And I don't believe there is any text on it glorifying White supremacy or similar?

Viper21

Sergeant Major
It's truly refreshing to have good news when it comes to preserving these monuments.
It IS refreshing. Thank God for the SCV...! The Virginia Division in particular, went to bat strongly for the rule of law, & the preservation of the Lee Memorial where it stands. I sincerely hope the judge in the case, awards them, & the other plaintiffs in the case, their full legal fees (600k+) as this case should've never happened to begin with. The law was clear. The city knew what the law was, & has wasted millions of dollars in an illegal attempt to remove Lee from this park.

archieclement

Captain
Forum Host
on my scale of "should it be removed or protected" I would put it somewhere in the middle.

It is not a war memorial put up by the veterans themselves or even their families. And it is not a monument of a ordinary soldier to honor a local unit.

But at the same time From what I could find about the man who paid for it, he don't seem to have had any clear connections to groups like the KKK or similar. And he spend a good deal of money on Philanthropy.
And I don't believe there is any text on it glorifying White supremacy or similar?
Nope, it simply says Robert Edward Lee 1807 1870

Its always somewhat amazed me, about any list of greatest US military commanders will include Lee, hes studied at West Point, but apparently that cant possibly be what it was intended to recognize........

Last edited: