Robert E. Lee and Traveler ( post war? )

It's the reason I would like to go back to VA. The actual reason for the trip was to visit the OBX. I only had a few hours to walk around Richmond, and thought the Confederate White House was a good start. Although my ambition to return to VA has declined a bit, due to the removal of monuments on the Avenue and now the removal of Lee 😕
I fully agree-erasing history, for better or worse, condemns the future to repeat it. I bet that less than a single digit percentage of those destroying this country's heritage even know the history. Also, the heritage is not just the south's, but the entire nation's.

Last edited:
I just came across this information about Traveller in my American Saddlebred FB group. I thought it might be of some interest to people interested in Lee and Traveller.

Traveller was foaled 1857 in Greenbrier County VA. By the Thoroughbred Grey Eagle out of an ambling mare named Flora. Those are the common bloodlines of the original Kentucky Saddle Horse, so he is a "Saddlebred". Originally named Jeff Davis he won the two year old and three year old colt classes at Greenbrier Co Fair in Lewisburg. Lee tried to buy him as a four year old but he had already been sold to a Major Broun and that was how he first went to war under the name Greenbrier. When Lee finally acquired him a year later he renamed him Traveller. Information from the Lynn Weatherman article in the American Saddlebred magazine Nov/Dec 1998.

If you have any interest in Traveler, you should read the novel Traveler by Richard Adams, the author of Watership Down. The story of Traveler's experiences in the war is told by the horse himself to Lee's barn cat, Tom. A fascinating look at events through "the horses' mouth."

Interesting. I did a little research on Route 39, which they call the "Scenic Byway". Looks to be a beautiful ride. I've only visited VA once, I stayed in Newport News for two nights, and went to Richmond for a few hours to see the Confederate White House. I actually rode from Newport News to Richmond on two wheels. My friend, who I was visiting, had 2 motorcycles at the time.
Not to hijack the thread, but highly recommend riding Lee's Retreat from Petersburg on two wheels. Very informative route, nice country, and visiting Appomattox has to be on every buff's bucket list. Did it two years ago and it was a great ride. Combined it with a ride around the Seven Days battles.

I always get it mixed up, is it Traveler or Traveller?

It's Traveller, with two "L's." My Dad took us to the Gettysburg National Battlefield Park 50 years ago and bought me my first book about the war, Harriet Hinsdale's "Confederate Gray, The Story of Traveller." It's about General Lee's horse and was published in 1964. I still have it.

71H+SC7G9GL.jpg

I'm thinking that picture was posted several years ago and the guestion was asked if we thought that really was Lee and Traveller. Most of us certainly thought it was.

I fully agree-erasing history, for better or worse, condemns the future to repeat it. I bet that less than a single digit percentage of those destroying this country's heritage even know the history. Also, the heritage is not just the south's, but the entire nation's.
Absolutely correct. Just as those who choose to attend W & L but then ***** about "all the Lee stuff."

Back