Lee Robert E. Lee....a drinker?

I've always remembered Paul Revere as that excitable Yankee that rode around all night yelling for help. :biggrin:
Paul, besides being a fine craftsman in silver, manufactured church bells and cannons, fabricated false teeth(he identified the body of his friend, Joseph Warren by dental work he had done). He also made copper nails and spikes used in ship building, as well as the copper sheeting used to cover the hulls of sailing vessels, including Old Ironsides. His famed "midnight ride" ensured the British got an appropriate reception the next day. It was part of his tireless work as a Son of Liberty.

And he had sixteen children, so yes, he did ride around all night.

I can't believe I can recall all this stuff after thirty plus years.

Besides Grant and Lee struggling with drinking, Beauregard smoked an absurd amount of weed, and Sherman was addicted to, I'm going to guess, bennies(dude, look at his eyes). Thomas was bulimic, Johnson was a martyr to his bowels, while McClellan invented vaping, but gave it up after Lincoln slapped it out of his hand, saying: "General, you're not a hipster."
And despite of what you made have read in some "history" "book" Benjamin Butler was not nicknamed either Spoons or Beast, but "Bottles" Butler.

Did you catch the Sons of Liberty mini series on the History channel a couple years ago..? I really liked it. Thought it was well done, & a great mini-series.
I couldn't get over the departures from the history I had been soaked in. When Adams leans over and whispered to a colleague, "Washington---he's intense." It lost me.

I couldn't get over the departures from the history I had been soaked in. When Adams leans over and whispered to a colleague, "Washington---he's intense." It lost me.
Like all series based on actual events, they certainly take some creative, or dramatic liberties..... but, that being said, it was a great series imo. I would watch it again.

Besides Grant and Lee struggling with drinking, Beauregard smoked an absurd amount of weed, and Sherman was addicted to, I'm going to guess, bennies(dude, look at his eyes). Thomas was bulimic, Johnson was a martyr to his bowels, while McClellan invented vaping, but gave it up after Lincoln slapped it out of his hand, saying: "General, you're not a hipster."
And despite of what you made have read in some "history" "book" Benjamin Butler was not nicknamed either Spoons or Beast, but "Bottles" Butler.
This is not well known, but I have it from a reputable source that General Bragg drank a concoction made from two parts vodka to one part Pepto Bismol. He called this drink a "Pink Russian".

Lee and Rawlins would have found something in common, except Rawlins was fanatic about it! Our Founding Fathers and assorted patriots would have been considered hopeless sots by their grandchildren - Ben Franklin, for instance, polished off 3 bottles of wine a day, and that was going easy.

You know, that quote is interesting - it wasn't said by Lee! Stonewall Jackson said it. Jackson's motto was - if it's enjoyable, it must be sinful too! But actually, it came from one of his first victories - Harper's Ferry. He ordered the barrels of whiskey there to be poured out, and some of his officers protested - aw, come on, can't we keep a little...don't you like whiskey? "I like whiskey. I have always liked whiskey. That is why I resolved never to drink it." :D

In the latest book on Lee I read where a good citizen provided General Lee with ice---Now I know why. But how was ice made and delivered at the time???

I have never heard that, and I certainly doubt it. Lee was a strong Christian, and I'm sure he rarely drank; maybe a glass of wine like @Drew mentioned above. Definitely not an alcoholic.
I agree, I have never heard anything about Lee drinking. Now Light Horse Harry that might be another story. Sure he wouldn't mind a tankard or two but I believe Robert E. Lee would try to avoid some of his father's problems.

In the latest book on Lee I read where a good citizen provided General Lee with ice---Now I know why. But how was ice made and delivered at the time???
Its OT, but ice was cut from ponds, rivers and lakes during the winter and stored packed in sawdust in icehouses which were partially underground and insulated to keep cold IN. In large cities these could be large warehouses. In the northeast area of the US, the goal was to have ice at least until the 4th of July annually. After Gettysburg, forage teams ranged as far away as Harrisburg to find ice to use in field hospitals. It was used to control bleeding.

Its OT, but ice was cut from ponds, rivers and lakes during the winter and stored packed in sawdust in icehouses which were partially underground and insulated to keep cold IN. In large cities these could be large warehouses. In the northeast area of the US, the goal was to have ice at least until the 4th of July annually. After Gettysburg, forage teams ranged as far away as Harrisburg to find ice to use in field hospitals. It was used to control bleeding.

Yes, 7th Wisconsin, it's off topic, but let me do you one better. Others may demand a source from me and the only one I had has left this Earthly Life. He told me his family owned a schooner in the 19th century and that his forebears used to cut ice from rivers along the coast of Maine. They buried it, exactly how you've described and relied upon Maine's cool summers to preserve it.

They loaded it aboard in late summer and set sail for Norfolk, Charleston and points south. The cargo was precious and they mad a lot of money selling it!

Now, back on topic. There's no evidence whatsoever that Robert Lee was a drunk.

Back