Lee Robert E. Lee’s Call To Prayer

Barrycdog

Major
ROBERT E. LEE’S CALL TO PRAYER

“Soldiers! We have sinned against Almighty God. We have forgotten his signal mercies, and have cultivated a revengeful, haughty, and
boastful spirit. We have not remembered that the defenders of a just cause should be pure in His eyes; that “our times are in His Hands,” and we have relied too much on our own arms for the achievement of our independence. God is our only refuge and our strength. Let us humble ourselves before Him. Let us confess our many sins, and beseech Him to give us a higher courage, a purer patriotism, and more determined will; that He will convert the hearts of our enemies; that He will hasten the time when war, with its sorrows and sufferings, shall cease, and that He will give us a name and a place among the nations of the earth.” (August 13, 1863)

Expired Image Removed

I'm bumping this up because I found a similar Call to Prayer dated at the same time. I thought of this when I read this recent thread but I didn't think it quite fit.
Georgia soldier's letter to wife about weather, weight gain, national day of fasting and prayer.
http://civilwartalk.com/threads/geo...in-national-day-of-fasting-and-prayer.123140/

This image was a little too small so I tried to enlarge it. I hope you can read it.
This may sound like a speech to boost the soldier's morale but it is a call to Prayer.

Page-503_FastingB.jpg

Back