Roadtrip Advice Wanted

Sounds like you and your mom had a great trip. I didn't see Arlington Place, home of Robert E. Lee listed. It was a plantation before the Yankees made it a (National) graveyard.

You're right about winter and I've travelled in Dec and had the whole park to myself. It's just like being a kid and you can monopolize the Ranger's time with a 1001 questions. Go prepared before you do. It's nifty to wander, not joustle with crowds and take pictures without folks standing in the way.

Highfly: You had quite an itinerary there. Looks like you used your map wisely. I'll be lucky if I hit half of those sites before I'm cold as the clay. I'm sure those memories will be with you for a long time. Way to travel!

Terry

A little more advice if you please...

I'm planning another out east jaunt for 10 days in April to Gettysburg, Antietam, and Manassas. I've been to them all before, but this time I want to see them in more detail.

What kind of traveling advice (times, crowds, &c) can I be expecting? How much time should I spend in each place? Any other things that might help me out?

Highfly

Trip

Highfly, I mean, you could spend a week in each of those places if you wanted to but I'd think two days apiece would do you well; you could even have time to shoot over to Chancelorsville. The crowds should be minimal and you never know about the weather so extra shoes/boots may be needed (as well as rain gear). I love April and May to travel the battlefields because there aren't many insects and the poison ivy isn't in full growth (the area of Picket's charge was chock-full of it the last time we went (July) and it seems if I even look at the plant too long I get a rash of it!) but best of all, the trees are just budding and it gives you a sense of the foliage but you can see through the trees a bit and get a better view of the battlefield. In full foliage the plant growth can obscure areas of viewing. Have a good and safe trip! I am envious!

Will be passing near Brice's Crossroads next month. Is there anything there worth stopping for?

Ole

Ole,

check out http://www.bricescrossroads.com/ its about last years 141st re-enactment but thre info on there about the small park there, and a Visitor center thats has a video, annimated maps, artifacts and a bookstore.

Brice's Crossroads Confederate Cemetery / Bethany Cemetery adjacent to the Park Service monument site predates the Civil War. Many of the area’s earliest settlers are buried here. The graves of more than 90 Confederate soldiers killed in the battle are also located in this cemetery

Two others sights to look at is Mississippi section of Civil War Album.com http://www.civilwaralbum.com/misc_list.htm#Mississippi & and ask questions on The Mississippi in the Civil War Message Board http://history-sites.com/cgi-bin/boards/mscwmb/

Tupelo has a small park near by as well ..Its been 20 years since I been there so not sure what all is there now..

At the Natches trace Vistor center in tupelo there is a grave yard containg a several confederate solders..

Corinth is that far away either and they just built a new visiter Center a year or so ago.

Try to find the Mississippi tourism site online and get ya some free info .. I did a few yours back but have since missplaced what I had.. Actually I would guess all the states has some kinda tourism info to give out and I have gone through them highlighting all the civil war related sights, period homes , Buildings, graveyards etc. period working farms and other odds and ends that I might fancy

I had info saved up on Al, Ga, Ms, Tn.

Now if I could only remeber what I did with them.

regards steven

Back