Roads around Vicksburg during the War

gary

Captain
I looked into the Official Military Atlas and saw several roads leading from Vicksburg. No surprise. However, I'd like to learn the old names of the roads. Anybody have any link? Specifically I'm look for the road along the ridge that runs from Fort Hill to the Stockade Fort.

In Bearrs's book, Vicksburg Campaign, Vol. III, page 888, it is given as Confederate Avenue but what's the original name? Thanks

Gary, I believe the Vicksburg National Park has a map for sale of the area from about 1860 that shows all of the railroads and roads in the area.

I've also had some luck with the University of Alabama map site which has a number of civil war era and earlier maps. Easily found by Google or Yahoo at ALABAMA MAPS. They cover Mississippi and several other southeastern states.

Thanks Larry & Shane. One of these days, I'll have to spend a couple of weeks around Vicksburg. The final campaign was brilliant and Grant's use of the center position (Raymond, Jackson, Champion Hill & Big Black) emulated Napoleon very well.

Gary, here is the site for the National Park, I'm sure you can get ahold of their gift shop and order a map of the Vicksburg area and the works circa 1863.

One of thebooks that you might want is <u>Struggle for Vicksburg</u> by Stephen Ambrose IIRC it has several decent maps of the battlefields of the campaign.
http://www.nps.gov/vick/home.htm

I agree w/ your analysis...

Good Luck

(Message edited by johan_steele on January 24, 2005)

Had several relatives at vicksburg and other battles in the area.

3rd great grandfather John W. Putman was paroled their after it was surrended. then after being exchanged and rejoining his unit 30th Alabama Infantry he he went on to fight in Georgia and was wounded in his leg at the battle of Jonesboro.. Some time in feature i like to go back to Vicksburg and take a few days and visit the area sights.. I was their lets see 24 or 25 years ago.

regards, steven

Thanks Ole Jenson. You're right &amp; I just happened to have found a map today (in Theodore Winschel's book).

I see Warrenton Rd. as on the south side of the city, leading out through South Fort. From what maps I've seen I wonder if there was even a road from Fort Hill to the Stockade Fort before the 2 forts were built. Maybe it was only a trail along the ridge until that ridge was selected as a line of defense.
Chuck in Il.

Gary:

My bad. Chuck in IL is likely right. You wanted Fort Hill to Stockade Fort. You can't get from one to the other. However, for supply purposes, Graveyard Road runs from the city through Stockade Redan. The road was less than a half-mile from the lines, and Fort Hill could have been supplied from the city on Valley Road.
Ole

Back