ROAD TRIP: Sat. July 10, 2021 - Huff's Ferry and Knoxville Anyone Want to Go?

lelliott19

Brigadier General
* OFFICIAL *
CWT PRESENTER
Forum Host
Silver Patron
Regtl. Staff Chickamauga 2018
1625548118413.png

South Side of Huff's Ferry by the author for CivilWarTalk
SATURDAY, JULY 10, 2021
Back in December @Norman Dasinger Jr was kind enough to point out some places of interest related to Longstreet's East Tennessee Campaign. I need to go back and take some pictures of a few things missed on that visit. @uaskme was with us back in December and he had kindly agreed to a revisit. Norman wont be with us this time, but we will be able to get to the places and share what we recall.

If anyone else would like to come along on SATURDAY, JULY 10th we'd love for you to join us.

We are meeting at Ooltewah, TN on Saturday morning at 7:00 am EDT and will have extra seats. Alternatively, we can make arrangements to meet you at Loudon, TN about 8:15 am EDT.

Here is our rough agenda
1. Loudon side of the Huff's Ferry pontoon crossing
2. The "T" intersection near Lenoir where the Burns house was located.
3. Eaton's Crossroads
4. 2nd Presbyterian Church where Colonel Sanders was mortally wounded.
5. Edward Porter Alexander's Artillery position overlooking Fort Sanders. You can really get a great perspective of where the fort was located from there.
6. Family cemetery where Colonels Henry Phillip Thomas (16th GA) and Solon Z Ruff (18th GA) are buried.
7. If we can get permission, grounds of Middlebrook plantation which served as the field hospital for McLaws division.

We can probably add in a few other stops if folks are interested. Perhaps Campbell's Station and/or the medal of honor cemetery?

Let us know via PM if you'd like to ride along or meet us in Loudon. We'd love for you to join us!

Last edited:
Great to have several others express interest. Looks like we will have a group! If you'd like to join us, please PM me or just post here and Ill add you to the PM group.

I will be at ooltewah at 7. edt or cdt?
Ooltewah at 7am EDT
or Loudon at 8:15 am EDT

Please let us know if you are planning to join us so I can add you to the PM thread

Last edited:
Bumping in case anyone missed this earlier and wants to join us. There will be a group of us and we'd love to have others join us. See potential meeting times and locations above. If you can't make either of the prearranged meeting times/locations let me know via PM and we will get you caught up.

Back