Riots North and South

CSA Today

Brev. Brig. Gen'l
Honored Fallen Comrade
Same thing can be said about Confederate conscription of whites. I have posted that the Confederacy tortured women to find their conscription reading men folk and most definitely used dogs to track them down.
Leftyhunter

Must have been even worse in the North given the number of riots there. Conscription/the draft is never popular, You don't have look to the distant past to see the vigorous resistance.

Must have been even worse in the North given the number of riots there. Conscription/the draft is never popular, You don't have look to the distant past to see the vigorous resistance.
There were a few riots that lasted at most a week. On the other hand unlike the Confederacy there was not sustained and substantial guerrilla warfare from conscript readers. There was not substantial recruitment of Union draft dodgers into
the Confederate Army.
There were also food riots in Southern cities. There were also quite a bit of banditry committed by Confederate deserter gangs.
I covered resistance by Confederate deserters in my threads " Union vs CASA guerrilla " "Compare and contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations " "How Serious was desertion in the CSA" "Did Conscription help or hurt the CSA".
Leftyhunter

There were a few riots that lasted at most a week. On the other hand unlike the Confederacy there was not sustained and substantial guerrilla warfare from conscript readers. There was not substantial recruitment of Union draft dodgers into
the Confederate Army.
There were also food riots in Southern cities. There were also quite a bit of banditry committed by Confederate deserter gangs.
I covered resistance by Confederate deserters in my threads " Union vs CASA guerrilla " "Compare and contrast Union vs Confederate counter guerrilla operations " "How Serious was desertion in the CSA" "Did Conscription help or hurt the CSA".
Leftyhunter

Do you reckon union troops firing into the crowd had anything to do with it? :unsure:

Urban riots were disturbingly common in Northern cities during the 19th century, even aside from the Civil War outbreaks. Before the War, Baltimore earned the sobriquet Mobtown, even though Baltimoreans complained that riots were equally common in Philadelphia and New York.
Yeah, increasing immigration fueled bitterness over employment. There were also numerous riots in Cincinnati in the 19th century. Often these riots involved either protestant northerners against immigrant Catholics, or whites against free blacks. At the heart of it, the 1863 NYC draft riot was a riot over labor. With the E.P. only 6 months old and the new federal draft being instituted, Catholic immigrant laborers weren't for being drafted to fight a war that would free the slaves and allow them to come North and take immigrant jobs. There had already been bitterness over a dock workers strike where black scabs were hired to replace the striking doc workers a couple months earlier.

Large immigrant populations didn't exist in the southern cities so comparing northern riots to southern riots doesn't mean much at all outside of Lost Cause nonsense.

Urban riots were disturbingly common in Northern cities during the 19th century, even aside from the Civil War outbreaks. Before the War, Baltimore earned the sobriquet Mobtown, even though Baltimoreans complained that riots were equally common in Philadelphia

Urban riots against blacks in Southern cities during Reconstruction were not unknown.
Leftyhunter

Last edited by a moderator:

Conscription policy and practice in the North was not "worse" than in the South when the Draft Riots broke out -- recall that the riots occurred in July 1863 when conscription was being introduced for the first time. New Yorkers (and others) were not protesting the harshness of the draft, but the existence of the draft itself.

The NYC riot is actually better understood as an anti-war riot, because a lot of the anger came from the effects of war-time inflation on poor working-class New Yorkers. In addition to attacking defenseless black citizens, the rioters also targeted prominent abolitionists -- both seen as groups that had caused the war.

Last edited:
Conscription policy and practice in the North was not "worse" than in the South when the Draft Riots broke out -- recall that the riots occurred in July 1863 when conscription was being introduced for the first time. New Yorkers (and others) were not protesting the harshness of the draft, but the existence of the draft itself.

The NYC riot is actually better understood as an anti-war riot, because a lot of the anger came from the effects of war-time inflation on poor working-class New Yorkers. In addition to attacking defenseless black citizens, the rioters also targeted prominent abolitionists -- both seen as groups that had caused the war.
In addition has I documented in my thread "how serious was Union desertion"
The New,York City government paid funds,to hire substitutes for New York City residents that did not wish to be drafted.My source is "Battle of Freedom by James McPherson.
Leftyhunter

Yeah, increasing immigration fueled bitterness over employment. There were also numerous riots in Cincinnati in the 19th century. Often these riots involved either protestant northerners against immigrant Catholics, or whites against free blacks. At the heart of it, the 1863 NYC draft riot was a riot over labor. With the E.P. only 6 months old and the new federal draft being instituted, Catholic immigrant laborers weren't for being drafted to fight a war that would free the slaves and allow them to come North and take immigrant jobs. There had already been bitterness over a dock workers strike where black scabs were hired to replace the striking doc workers a couple months earlier.

Large immigrant populations didn't exist in the southern cities so comparing northern riots to southern riots doesn't mean much at all outside of Lost Cause nonsense.

There had already been bitterness over a dock workers strike where black scabs were hired to replace the striking doc workers a couple months earlier.

So here is an example where waterfront employers had actually used black labor to displace Irish immigrants. An April 1863 dock strike was full of racial violence, with black workers used to replace Irishmen striking for a higher wage. The Metropolitan Police and federal troops were called in to protect the scabs.

There was also a violent longshore strike in 1855.

It's all in The New York City Draft Riots by Iver Bernstein (1990)

Last edited:
In addition has I documented in my thread "how serious was Union desertion"
The New,York City government paid funds,to hire substitutes for New York City residents that did not wish to be drafted.My source is "Battle of Freedom by James McPherson.
Leftyhunter

Yes, in the wake of the riots in NYC, the city and state government took steps to cool the anger. The state government lowered draft quotas in certain districts, and the city created a fund to pay for substitutes.

Yes, in the wake of the riots in NYC, the city and state government took steps to cool the anger. The state government lowered draft quotas in certain districts, and the city created a fund to pay for substitutes.
Professor Current in his book "Lincolns Loyalists Union soldiers from the Confederacy " that many Northern states sent recruiters to the South to enlist Southern men into the Union Army. I also have a thread "did the Union recruit overseas " indeed they did.
Leftyhunter

There had already been bitterness over a dock workers strike where black scabs were hired to replace the striking doc workers a couple months earlier.

So here is an example where waterfront employers had actually used black labor to displace Irish immigrants. An April 1863 dock strike was full of racial violence, with black workers used to replace Irishmen striking for a higher wage. The Metropolitan Police and federal troops were called in to protect the scabs.

The was also a violent longshore strike in 1855.

It's all in The New York City Draft Riots by Iver Bernstein (1990)
I've read Bernstein's book and a couple others on the riots and I know the police protected the scabs. But I don't get the point you are trying to make.

Back