Rifle-musket barrel with many lands and grooves in the rifling with Richmond re-proof star

Jeff in Ohio

First Sergeant
I picked up an interesting rifle musket today with a Springfield lockplate but mixed parts. The original proofs had been removed from the barrel long ago, but it had the Richmond Armory "re-proof" star. When the Confederate Armory at Richmond proof fired a scavenged barrel that has been armory fixed in some way, this star was stamped to show the barrel had been proof fired after repair. I suspect when I take it apart I will find the breach plug is also marked with the star - Richmond would not have reproofed a good US barrel that was not damaged and not repaired in some way, and likely the repair was installation of a new breach plug.
In any event, the barrel has about six lands and six grooves, rather than the three of each I am used to seeing.
The bolster is the M1861 type bolster.
What maker made these barrels with more than three lands and three groves?
Jeff

I picked up an interesting rifle musket today with a Springfield lockplate but mixed parts. The original proofs had been removed from the barrel long ago, but it had the Richmond Armory "re-proof" star. When the Confederate Armory at Richmond proof fired a scavenged barrel that has been armory fixed in some way, this star was stamped to show the barrel had been proof fired after repair. I suspect when I take it apart I will find the breach plug is also marked with the star - Richmond would not have reproofed a good US barrel that was not damaged and not repaired in some way, and likely the repair was installation of a new breach plug.
In any event, the barrel has about six lands and six grooves, rather than the three of each I am used to seeing.
The bolster is the M1861 type bolster.
What maker made these barrels with more than three lands and three groves?
Jeff
Is it 58 or 54 cal?

It is a standard looking Model 1861 rifle musket with springfield plate, and the barrel is the usual length, and (without measuring it), in the standard .58 caliber.
There must be some maker, perhaps Whitney, who made this style barrel with double the number of lands and grooves!

It is a standard looking Model 1861 rifle musket with springfield plate, and the barrel is the usual length, and (without measuring it), in the standard .58 caliber.
There must be some maker, perhaps Whitney, who made this style barrel with double the number of lands and grooves!
Most of the early Whitney's were 7 groove. I went thru the whole list and didn't see a 6 in 58 cal and several 54 cal 6 grooves.

Well, I only took a quick look down the barrel with the bore light, and tried to count both lands and grooves at once, and since there would be 14, and I only have ten fingers (well, really only nine-and-a-half fingers), I guessed at 6 and 6, but I bet there are 7 and 7.

Back