Limited Richmond still considering what to do with monuments

Quaama

Sergeant
City officials can't decide what to do so they want to punt it all in the mayor's lap. They need to decide and move on

https://richmond.com/news/state-and...cle_4c640b8d-da6f-5605-a941-4b60aff1a50b.html

Don't hold your breath waiting for a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting on the final outcome from the courts in relation to the R E Lee Monument.

I'm also wondering, who legally owns them? Is it the City of Richmond, the State of Virginia or someone else? Does the ownership change once they are removed from their original locations?
[For example: In the case of the R E Lee monument the land was gifted on the basis that the "Statue and pedestal and Circle" be guarded and protected by the State of Virginia. If they do not carry out their duty, or it is removed, who owns it? I would not think it unusual if many of the monuments were 'gifted' with conditions. The A P Hill Monument will be especially troublesome to remove given that it is also a gravesite.]

Jamieva

Captain
Forum Host
Don't hold your breath waiting for a decision. I wouldn't be surprised if they are waiting on the final outcome from the courts in relation to the R E Lee Monument.

I'm also wondering, who legally owns them? Is it the City of Richmond, the State of Virginia or someone else? Does the ownership change once they are removed from their original locations?
[For example: In the case of the R E Lee monument the land was gifted on the basis that the "Statue and pedestal and Circle" be guarded and protected by the State of Virginia. If they do not carry out their duty, or it is removed, who owns it? I would not think it unusual if many of the monuments were 'gifted' with conditions. The A P Hill Monument will be especially troublesome to remove given that it is also a gravesite.]

The city owns all of them except Lee