Uniforms Richmond Hussars, Company A, Cavalry Battalion, Cobb's Legion

Klaudly

Sergeant
The Legion's original cavalry battalion consisted of 4 companies. The "Richhmond Hussars" were company A.
There are 2 photos of the Richmond Hussars, one from the Lillenquist collection is mistakenly attributed to a member of the 'Richmond Howitzer'. The uniform is probably the service uniform, the dress one included a black hardee hat and probably the classic hussar's jacket.
Co. A, 'Richmond Hussar' double.jpg

For the colors I relied on the indications given in Ron Field's book.

Cobb's legion was formed on August 5, 1861 with two battalions, one of cavalry and one of infantry.
Cobb's Legion 3.jpg

On 18 November, it was assigned an artillery battery.
Cobb's Legion 2.jpg

Destiny common to the majority of the legions (a regiment made up of units of different weapons was impracticable) the Cobb's legion was dissolved. In may 1862, battery and the two battalions were assigned to different brigades, officially dissolved only in March 1863, with the two battalions ordered to be separated and increased to form two regiments. It only happened to the cavalry battalion which reached 11 companies and was designated 9th Cavalry Regiment (the excess company transferred). However, the infantry battalion remained so, remaining with the original seven companies.
Cobb's Legion 1.jpg

Thank you for posting this. I will have to see what I have in my reference library abour them.

The Legion's original cavalry battalion consisted of 4 companies. The "Richhmond Hussars" were company A.
There are 2 photos of the Richmond Hussars, one from the Lillenquist collection is mistakenly attributed to a member of the 'Richmond Howitzer'. The uniform is probably the service uniform, the dress one included a black hardee hat and probably the classic hussar's jacket.
View attachment 420448
For the colors I relied on the indications given in Ron Field's book.

Cobb's legion was formed on August 5, 1861 with two battalions, one of cavalry and one of infantry.
View attachment 420446
On 18 November, it was assigned an artillery battery.
View attachment 420447
Destiny common to the majority of the legions (a regiment made up of units of different weapons was impracticable) the Cobb's legion was dissolved. In may 1862, battery and the two battalions were assigned to different brigades, officially dissolved only in March 1863, with the two battalions ordered to be separated and increased to form two regiments. It only happened to the cavalry battalion which reached 11 companies and was designated 9th Cavalry Regiment (the excess company transferred). However, the infantry battalion remained so, remaining with the original seven companies.
View attachment 420449
The seated soldiers seems to be carrying a M1852 or M1853 Sharps carbine. Is this correct for the unit? Also, which book by Ron Field, as he has produced many?

Back