Richmond Bread Riots Turned Fatal

rbortega

Corporal
What kind of impact would there have been on Confederate morale if the Richmond Bread Riots (and similar situations through the South) ended up getting so far out of hand that the military ended up causing casualties among the civilian population?

What kind of impact would there have been on Confederate morale if the Richmond Bread Riots (and similar situations through the South) ended up getting so far out of hand that the military ended up causing casualties among the civilian population?
Good question, I guess you could look at the outcome of the Boston bread riots of the 1700s, I think a political solution was found, perhaps even after the killing of many citizens, the same thing could of happened in Richmond. If you look at all the various food riots that happen throughout the world during the same period, it was very rare for the military to fire upon its own citizens, the mere presence of an armed force was usually enough to deter further riots.however, in places where citizens were killed, then it seems that a political solution was nearly always found to resolve the matter, no government to my knowledge has ever tried to crush the masses over a domestic issue like starvation, lack of clothing etc,think French Revolution, that’s a good indicator of what happens when the people are suppressed through military force. So, with my limited knowledge on the subject, I’m going to say that following a number of deaths, a political solution would have been rather speedily found and providing people weren’t left to starve, things would have settled down and morale would have remained unaffected.

Back